Can cold medicine cause CDiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lex20
New User

Can cold medicine cause CDiff

Postby lex20 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am

Hey everyone,

I posted awhile back this summer. I am 4 and a half months post FMT. I have been reluctant to post my success story yet as it has been a long recovery with many scares. I have almost been back to normal and regular bowl movements. However, this past week I developed a pretty bad cold, starting with a sore throat and moving into a bad cough. I have been drinking Theraflu at night and taking one dose of DayQuil in the morning. However, this morning I went to the bathroom and had very loose D. I already feel like I could go again. I am wondering if it is just the DayQuil being to hard on my stomach. I just need some reassurance that cold medicine cannot cause cdiff. I know antibiotics are the main cause but I have been worried that any type of medicine I take, including ibproufen may cause a recurrence. It could just be a viral thing and I know about the 3 day rule. But I have not had a bad day like this in a long time. Just looking for some words of encouragement or wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience after taking cold medicine.
I forgot to mention, I also work in a hospital but I work at the coffee shop, so I don't think I would have any significant exposure to it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Can cold medicine cause CDiff

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 pm

I doubt very much if cold med can cause c diff. Often, with a resp infection, mucus can drain down and enter the GI tract - causing looseness. Have u tried saline irrigation?

If this continues, however. Con tact your doc.

Best wishes.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”