PPI (proton pump inhibitor), antibiotics and asthma?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
j834
New User

PPI (proton pump inhibitor), antibiotics and asthma?

Postby j834 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Exactly 1 year after beating c.diff, (1 round of Flagyl and a very controlled diet for 6 months) I get diagnosed with a chest infection. I get doxycycline for 10 days and the Breo inhaler. The doctor gave me doxycycline because he says doxycycline is a low offender antibiotic that can possibly have c. diff return.

I was still having shortness of breath and couldn't breathe so I get prescribed a 6 day course of Prednisone. Still no major improvement and I'm relying on a rescue inhaler 3-4 times per day. Now my allergist is saying that its acid reflux caused by the doxycycline and wants to put me on a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) to help me breathe. The doxycycline caused so much damage to my stomach that its pushing into my lungs and its also the reason I can't breathe as well.

It's been 10 days since my last doxycycline dose. Has anyone tried any particular brands or have any natural home remedies? I'm terrified after antibiotics, steroids and now possibly proton Pump inhibitor like Nexium or Prisolec. I keep seeing warnings about PPI's and the link with c.diff.

I'm doing Florastor, probiotics, coco-kefir and Bubbies pickles to help...

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: PPI (proton pump inhibitor), antibiotics and asthma?

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:45 am

It is true that PPi's are linked to Cdiff , not as bad as antibiotics though , but still there is a risk . There are people here that deal with heartburn and reflux and replaced the PPI with Ranitidine (a H2 inhibitor that is also used to reduce stomach acid) with success.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am

I personally would discuss with your GI starting with an H2 first and if that does not work, think about the PPI.

I was on a PPI for years, changed to a H2, still may need to move to a PPI but for me it was worth a try

NanciT

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 am

Ranitidine (Zantac) was very recently recalled due to its containing an ingredient that is "a probable human carcinogen":
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... ranitidine
You're unlikely to find it on retail shelves due to the recall.

I relied on this medication, myself, in lieu of PPIs, and I'm not sure what to substitute for it. Given the FDA's dismal record of protecting consumers from harmful/inadequately tested medications, perhaps so-called natural/home remedies are best, though I don't have any specific ones to recommend.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 am

Famotidine (Pepcid) can be used instead of Zantac. It is another H2 blocker.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:07 pm

J834,

I am prone to c diff - 3 bouts - the first 4 years. Was on a PPI for years without c dif. Last 10 or so years on Rantidine, now on generic Pepcid and doing OK.

One thing that seems to help me is chewing gum. - sugarless- Since I am not in the medical field, check this out with someone who is.

"Chewing gum produces saliva and saliva neutralizes acid and signals the stomach to move its contents into the small intestine. Peppermint or mint gum should be avoided since they may relax the lower esophageal sphincter and increase the risk for h"

Best wishes.

j834
New User

Postby j834 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks everyone. I’m trying out Famotodine which is an H2 blocker. It’s been two days and seems to be working because I feel like a can speak more. Going to give it a few more days and then I can always “move up” to Prisolec which is a PPI. I am a teacher and need my voice a lot so it may be my last but necessary choice.

Im scared after two rounds of steroids and a 10 day course of doxycycline. Adding a PPI is definitely a concern of mine .

By the way, my Dr. Actually prescribed a prescription strength Prisolec which is 40mg per day instead of the over the counter 20mg per day. I understand he’s trying to help, but as we all know there is so much anxiety involved after getting c diff.

Thank you all for this forum and of course I will lee everyone posted . I really believe it’s important to post success stories and even follow ups so we can all see progress and hope.

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:08 am

Are you still having asthma troubles? I have c diff and did one round of flagyl that didn’t work and I’m starting dificid as soon as it comes to the drug store (2 to 3 days). I’m having 4 to 5 asthma attacks a day along with major acid reflux/heartburn. Can barely stand it. Very scary. Waiting for my inhaler to stop working. Yikes! Has yours improved? If so, what did you do?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Jodiekee - This post is 2 years old, so I don't think the poster is checking anymore. You could try and send personal message and see if you get a response.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Ril wrote:
> Famotidine (Pepcid) can be used instead of Zantac. It is another H2
> blocker.

I have been prescribed this for suspected MCAS but was avoiding taking it to due to fear of it having same risk as PPI - is this not the case?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”