Flagyl

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jG43
Contributor

Flagyl

Postby jG43 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 pm

I was cured recently by fmt after 3 relapses. I have been symptom free for 7 months post fmt via colonoscopy with a donor from open biome. I regularly read the site to offer advice to those suffering from cdiff. I still read so many posts about people who are prescribed flagyl for a first occurrence or for those who had success with it years ago and have cdiff again. For those with cdiff please try to start with Dificid. I wish I had. I was given flagyl by a urgent care walk in clinic. I was offered it by a pcp after I had relapsed on vancomycin. Luckily my pharmacist told me to ask for a Vancomycin taper instead. I am not a Doctor but I feel that my chances of relapsing would have been greatly decreased if I had started with Dificid. My GI that I found after my second reoccurrence had me take Dificid for 10 days then stop 48 hours before fmt. I feel that this protocol enabled me to have a decent recovery. It was not overnight success but I got to feeling better rather quickly with a few setbacks. My GI said he had cdiff 10 years ago and was cured with a round of flagyl but that it carried too high of a relapse rate now than it did several years ago. He said it is no longer recommended as a first line of treatment unless their are no other options available for the patient. . The downside to Dificid is it is very expensive while flagyl is cheap. But fmt via colonoscopy is also expensive. Hope this helps for anyone deciding on whether to take flagyl for cdiff

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Flagyl

Postby D1dad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am

I was cured with flagyl, 17 days worth. I didn’t know any better and when I did the Er doc and urgent care doc wouldn’t write anything different. The recovery from flagyl is downright brutal but the AB itself didn’t cause me any issues. Just took months for my flora to recover from what flagyl finished off.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”