Pattern of recovery?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Pattern of recovery?

Postby D1dad » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:37 pm

My wbc was normal but was passing blood and going 20-30 times a day for the better part of 8 days. Days 4-6 my immune system tried to win and almost did. In addition to the D I was feeling like death was lurking from a sick standpoint. I can deal with some D but not the feeling of being eaten alive from inside out.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 pm

D1dad I’m so sorry. I never had diarrhea like that even in my first episode. I’ve always only gone about 4 or 5 times a day. I don’t know, but it may be because i knew Clandimycin could Cause c diff and was watching for any symptoms to appear; at first sign I got tested and was put on vanco immediately.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:33 am

Thanks fish. I fared better than most even though the ER doc as well as the follow up after we’re adamant on treating with flagyl. 17 days in total, but I beat it and have no intolerance to anything that I didn’t have before. I’m actually healthier as I eat things for my stomach flora that I wasn’t before, yogurt etc. I made a pot of chili yesterday and didn’t think 6 months ago that’d ever happen again.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 pm

D1dad That’s encouraging to know. I’ve lost 40 pounds and would like to gain some back. I’m trying to add back foods but it’s a slow go.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

I went from 180 down to 160 in 8 days whic at 6 1” isn’t a good look for me. Optimum nutrition whey protein powder mixed with almond milk and all the red meat and chicken I could handle. I’m exactly 180 today but it took a few months. Whey protein if you can tolerate it is good for the stomach flora as well. Also just a plain old florastor a day and some chobanni Greek yogurt for what the florastor doesn’t have. I overdid the probiotics at first and felt like dog crap because of it. My GI said I’d recover fast when I started eating and gaining weight and was correct.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Fish, be careful with red meat. Lean protein is good but many cannot handle red meat and since you seem to be having difficulty it may not be the best thing for you. Same with whey protein powder- it can be harsh on your GI system. You should add new things one at a time and carefully or if you have a reaction you won’t know if you are reacting to a particular food or relapsing. Most people can not tolerate high fiber for quite a while. D1dad was extremely fortunate but not in the majority. Florastor is good as long as you don’t react negatively to it as is yogurt. Don’t overdo probiotics because more is not better.

Good luck, you will get there.
Rita

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Thank you for the advice. I am taking florastor everyday and I also eat a yogurt daily. I haven’t eaten red meat yet and I really haven’t missed it, so I’m thinking about not adding that back. I eat poultry and seafood. I added back Lima beans this week and they didn’t hurt me. I miss corn and I think I might try that next. I’m trying to eat more often during the day. I actually gained back three pounds this week. My doctor has me keeping a food diary and I like doing it. I feel like I’ve finally gotten it in my head that every time I have a little diarrhea, it doesn't mean it’s the c diff back. I have been much calmer lately, and just focusing on what I’m eating and adding in some exercise. Good for mental health too. I hope this better attitude lasts. Being able to visit this site and discuss all of the ups and downs with people who actually understand is everything. I know if I have a setback or a question I have a place to go speak to people who who have experience and can offer suggestions and support. I pray for all of the newbies that are just beginning this ordeal. I just want them to know that you can get through it and it does get better.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 am

Sounds like your in a position to see what your body can tolerate and that’s good. I read so much on here about other people’s intolerances that I made them my own. I don’t discount them and feel bad for those that have them. The ID doc that I saw in Lima specializes in cdiff and has published many a article and told me that 80% of his patients recover and go back to a normal diet so I trusted in that. Of course age and pre existing health plays a big part of that as well. The one thing that I loved eating that I now have a slight issue with is peanuts which I don’t get but whatever.

brandine
Regular User

Postby brandine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Fish1, I'm glad to hear that your anxiety is lessening! This was so liberating for me--when I stopped seeing every loose stool or d. as c.diff.

D1dad, I always appreciate hearing you and your doctor's take on eating in recovery. It's refreshing. I mean, of course food intolerances are real for many of us in recovery, but I experienced what you mentioned about restricting based on other people's experiences--maybe taking it too far at times, and worrying too much. I think it's important to reintroduce foods and not be afraid.

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Fish1 wrote:
> Okay so now I’m constipated again. Last time I went was the 28th, which was
> mushy and not much. So today is day 4. I’ve started eating my bran cereal
> again, adding pears today. I guess this is my new normal. Constipation,
> diarrhea, fear, constipation, diarrhea, fear. Really though I’d rather be
> constipated than have the diarrhea. I started the binding foods because I
> was having diarrhea, maybe I shouldn’t do that anymore. I never know what
> to eat anymore.

This is the pattern I have had lately and I am a year out. I will go quite a while with no problem and then symptoms hit for a few days. I get worried, go back to my s boullardii, symptoms subside, etc. a viscous cycle.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am

Yes that is what I’m doing. I feel pretty good overall and have decided I have beat this bout. Now to stay well over the next few months, so I don’t have to take any antibiotics.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Fish1,,
Take some preventative measures - flu and pneumonia vaccines (now two of them).

Fingers crossed for you.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Thank you

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”