Afraid it's coming back

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lpta08
New User

Afraid it's coming back

Postby lpta08 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:40 am

Hello all.
I was a poster on this forum about 4 years ago. I had a particularly bad bout with c diff ending with a vancomycin pulse/taper. I have been very careful with antibiotics since then.
I had an ear infection last weekend and was placed on amoxicillin and a steroid. I took my florastor daily except missed a dose yesterday. Today I have been a little nauseous and had D once this morning. Low grade fever of 99 F. Now im terrified that c diff is coming back. What should I do? I've taken the antibiotic for about 6 of 10 days. I'm thinking of stopping now due to the fear of c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Afraid it's coming back

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Try the three day rule.

Remember , the three day rule is not medical info but a rule of thumb to help get through the wait, watch, and worry stages of c diff.

To repeat:

Have u heard of the three-day rule? I made it up many years ago. It is a "rule of thumb" that can be helpful.

The Three Day Rule: Don't be alarmed by mild symptoms unless you have three "bad" days in a row or if your symptoms become drastically worse. If this happens, call your doctor. Please remember, this is just a guideline to use when you panic after one or two bad days and think, "Oh, IT'S back." The rule doesn't always apply, but what does with C. diff. ? It's a variable and frustrating disease.

Hope this helps. I would call your doc "just in case" and ask about stopping the antibiotic. Understand how panicky you feel. Keep posting.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Afraid it's coming back

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 pm

I agree with Bobbie, remember the 3 day rule. I would also consider some antibitoics can cause D. Once you have taken one, it's tough not to worry and difficult to wait.

Talk with your MD about your concerns

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”