Have you used Antibiotics since your CDiff cure?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Justm
Brand New Poster

Have you used Antibiotics since your CDiff cure?

Postby Justm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Still debating on taking the 10 course of Pylera , for H Pylori, which has 2 Antibiotics not to mention the twice a day Prilosec which has a C-Diff warning.

Question have you been treated with Antibiotics after having beat CDiff? Results?
I’m 9 years since CDiffand fear that I May get it again.

Please forgive if Im overstepping asking another question separate from my other post.

Nervous and scared,
justm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Have you used Antibiotics since your CDiff cure?

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am

My mother (when she was in her 90s) had to take antibiotics on several occasions after her bouts with c difficile and she never relapsed. She took a daily probiotic too.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:41 pm

I've had antibiotics via the IV route several times since my C. diff illness some seven years ago, with no ill effects. In each case, they were given prior to procedures for kidney stones and during/within 24 hours after hip-replacement surgery, all on a preventative basis. I'm unfamiliar with any C. diff warning that would accompany Prilosec. Associations between acid-reducing drugs such as Prilosec and C. diff are still rather speculative, and definitive data for cause and effect are lacking. That said, best to take acid-reducing drugs for as short of a duration as possible, as long-term use has been linked (again, this isn't the same as cause and effect) to a host of possible problems, C. diff being only one. Short-term use for H. pyloria treatment is unlikely to cause a problem.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

chinacherry88
Regular Contributor

Postby chinacherry88 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:50 am

I used pen IV a year and a half after my recovery and felt awful but didn't relapse.
Now I have a superbug mistreated as an UTI. And in less than 6 weeks I've have had macrobid, Keflex, 2 Cipro days and now azitromicin. If it doesn't go away I'll need a 5th broad spectrum one...
By the time no cdiff so knock on wood. I guess if it keeps like this I'll get it and battle it as last time.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”