Need advice —- Treatment PPI’s and Antibiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
justm123
Brand New Poster

Need advice —- Treatment PPI’s and Antibiotics

Postby justm123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 pm

I had Cdiff 9 years ago ...successfully treated it. I was recently diagnosed with H Pylori and the treatment recommended is Pylera aka Bismuth subcitrate / Metronidazole / Tetracycline and an acid reducer Prilosec. I’m very concerned . I know I need to Pylera to kill off the Pylori but I know that having no stomach acid and the two antibiotics will mess with the bacteria. Do I need to be worried? What would you do? What can I do to better tolerate treatment? Not asking for medical advice just advice on how to approach all of this. I’m literally shaking with fear. I did talk to my doctor and was told that if I wanted to feel better I need to take this. This is a new doctor as my old doctored who treated me is no longer practicing.

Female
50 years old
No Antibiotic in 9 years
Cdiff 9 years ago from Clindamycin- Dentist

Nervous wreck,
Justm123

roy
Administrator

Re: Need advice —- Treatment PPI’s and Antibiotics

Postby roy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:11 pm

It depends on if H pylori is causing problems.
MOST of the worlds population carry it, I think its 3 out of 4 adults!
Are your Drs treating just because of test results?

Even if you clear it your exposed to it again within a few weeks.

justm123
Brand New Poster

Postby justm123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes the H Pylori has been causing me stomach upset...pain...diarrhea only in the morning. Weighing the scale of HPylori or C-diff is playing with my mental wisdom.

Justm123

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:12 pm

I also got c diff from clindamycin. I had it 7 years ago and have only had 1 dose of IV antibiotics during surgery since then and was in a panic for weeks over that. I took Florastor twice/day for 2 months as a precaution and would recommend you do the same if you take the meds. The antibiotics recommended are not highest risk for causing c diff, if that helps (see the CDI section on this site) As far as the Prilosec goes, I have been taking that kind of medication for years out of necessity but perhaps in your case it is only short term and/or you can also ask if you can take something called an H2 blocker instead, like Tagamet or Zantac, which supposedly is not as bad....just questions to ask.

In any case, don’t panic! You have been fine for 9 years but I get it.

Justm
Brand New Poster

Postby Justm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm

I apologize for double sign in. I had originally forgotten my original sign in details. Please forgive.
Last edited by Justm on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justm123
Brand New Poster

Postby justm123 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm

I’m still just so torn as to what to do. Thank you to those who answered. Im afraid of the antibiotics more than the pain I’m having.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:45 pm

I just replied to your other thread. My own view is that antibiotics are inescapable at one point or another. Antibiotics that are given as so-called prevention should always be questioned, though at times, e.g., in conjunction with a hip or other joint replacement, the risk of foregoing the prevention is greater than the risk of taking them. H. pylori shouldn't be left untreated if it's causing you pain.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Just wanted to add I went this week to see a doctor in Mt.Sinai who is the CDIFF guy. I have esophageal issues and asked him about PPI”s. He said he would not recommend them unless 100 percent sure it is needed. Even then he would try natural remedies and dietary changes as a first defense.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”