Eye drops with Steroids?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Fish1
Regular User

Eye drops with Steroids?

Postby Fish1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:08 am

I have had red eyes since about a week after my first bout with c diff began. Now six weeks out from completing my vanco taper I am still experiencing red eyes, so it’s been about five months. Went to optometrist and he said they aren’t infected but are inflamed with blood vessels swollen. He agreed considering it coincided with infection of the gut, it could be related. He has prescribed a steroid eye drop, but I’ve heard steroid use is a no no if you’ve had c diff. The pharmacist said they wouldn’t be absorbed in the gut. I finally feel like my gut is recovering, just suffering from PI-IBS-C which I am learning to deal with day by day. I do not want to do anything that may make the c diff spores repopulate. I haven’t filled the steroid drops yet. I’d rather have red eyes for the rest of my life than ever deal with c diff again. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Eye drops with Steroids?

Postby AllisS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 pm

Contrary to steroids being a C. diff risk, my Google search found a number of hits linked to articles saying steroids might REDUCE antibiotic-associated C. diff risk. That said, steroids are very powerful drugs that should be used for the shortest duration possible. But you're not going to be risking C. diff by using them.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:03 am

Fish1,

Agree with Allis. I used steroid drops after cataract surgery without a problem.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:32 am

Thank you for your response. I haven’t filled them yet, but the other drops he prescribed aren’t making much difference so I think I will.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”