Does a relapse sneak up on you or can it come on like gangbusters?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
CindyP
New User

Does a relapse sneak up on you or can it come on like gangbusters?

Postby CindyP » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:16 am

I've been feeling really good after my treatment with Dificid for my relapse (after liquid Vanco for my first infection).

Everything was normal one day, and then the next morning (Tuesday) woke up at 4 am with WD. Today's the second day and I'm still having it.

I feel a little bit unwell otherwise, but not too terribly bad. I don't have a fever.

In your experience, can a relapse happen that quickly? Or is it more likely that I have some sort of stomach bug from eating out Saturday night?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Does a relapse sneak up on you or can it come on like gangbusters?

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Any of those mentioned. C diff is an unpredictable animal. See the Three Day Rule.

Hang in there. We are thinking of you. Keep posting.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:09 am

Yes, it can happen quickly or it can happen gradually. I have had both. If the D doesn't subside, ask to be tested. It could be a stomach bug. My friend just had a bout of that - she never had c diff. Apparently stuff is going around. Hope you feel better and it subsides.

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am

Things are much better today!! So relieved!
Thank you for the support.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 pm

CindyP,

Enjoy the good days!

brandine
Regular User

Postby brandine » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:07 pm

You're probably experiencing what roy explained to me in one of my recent posts (that the "meds beat back the active overgrowth" but then the "body has to deal with the 'hatching' remaining spores to finish your recovery")... the dificid probably took care of the main infection, but your body is now working to fight off the rest. It's great that your symptoms subsided--your body is doing its job! I hope for you continued wellness!

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks, guys.

Well, I spoke too soon about feeling well again.

Today marks a week of daily WD. Pepto managed to hold the frequency down, but it's persisting.

Oddly, my husband started having periodic episodes, as well, which makes me think maybe we have a virus or a food-borne pathogen. I also heard that my local hospital is experiencing a rash of gastroenteritis - so I guess it's going around my city.

I called my GI office yesterday and they're ordering a Genesis panel on both of us. I guess that tests for the presence of Toxin A/B - I just hope that I don't have a false positive.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:20 pm

CindyP,

I had an episode of vomiting and WD a week ago. Fairly certain it was food poisoning. I had a similar episode In the U.K. Years ago which was food poisoning.

Stomach "bugs" are also prevalent in the summer.

Let us know your outcome,

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Sorry you got food poisoning, but I'm glad it was just that and not a relapse.

Sent off labs today. :(

Also - husband's symptoms subsided, so he didn't do the Genesis GI panel.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:58 pm

CindyP,
Let us know the results.

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 pm

GI office called. They said I have C Diff and Norovirus.

They are prescribing a Vanco taper. I asked for a Dificid taper, but they said they don't have a protocol for that. What?

And, I asked what the test was for the c diff. She said first there was a positive DNA test, and then they did a culture, and it was positive for Toxins A/B. From all I've read here, I don't think that necessarily means I have an active c diff infection, right? I said as much, and she said yes, it definitely does mean that.

But, today things were MUCH better - no D, soft formed stool, and my husband's D is gone entirely. I think maybe we both got the Norovirus, and we're both recovering. I haven't been taking Pepto - haven't for days. If I had an active infection, things couldn't be normalizing, could they?

I think I should wait to see what happens, maybe over the weekend. And if things keep getting better that I shouldn't take the 2 month Vanco taper.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:16 pm

C.diff only needs treating if your immune system is not able to deal with it.
The key to judging if treatment is needed is "the host response" to the toxin, not a positive test.
If your natural immunity is strong you can have a bucket full of toxin but still not develop disease.
That's exactly how the eventual vaccine will work.
You still get infected, you still have toxins, but your body does not react to it and you dont get sick.
EXACTLY the same as c.diffs big brother tetanus, another clostridium species!
No symptoms, or rapidly improving symptoms is an indication that your bodys repairing itself and treatment is probably not needed.
That's a perfect recovery if it continues.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:53 am

I agree with Roy . Your symptoms can be due to Norovirus ,not Cdiff. I would not start taking any treatment for Cdiff if i wasn't100% sure that it's active (when classic symptoms are present). Some of us here , including myself have been positive for years for Cdiff but didn't have to treat it .

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you so much for confirming my thoughts!

I don't feel sick. It really does seem foolish to treat with no (or super mild) symptoms. But, I'm going to get in trouble with my doc.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”