colonoscopy recommendations

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

colonoscopy recommendations

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:21 pm

I just turned 47 and I am 3 years post c diff infection and doing well (knock on wood). I just came back from the gynocologist for a yearly well visit and she asked if I'd had a colonoscopy yet (?). I told her I plan to get one in 3 yrs. She told me they are now recommended at 45 even if you have no family history. I didn't have a problem waiting 3 more years but I'm very nervous to schedule one as I have spent three years trying to improve gut flora. From what I understand, it will wipe out all of my gut flora. Is this correct? How common is it for healthy post c diff sufferers to develop it again to to the procedure? Have any of you had one post infection with no recurrence?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: colonoscopy recommendations

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 pm

As with everything else involving c diff, there are no "pat" answers. I would check with experts in GI problems and infections - GI or ID,

Personally. I would follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" path.

Glad u are doing so well. Hurrah for you!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:58 pm

I had one within the year following c diff to rule out problems because of GI issues I was having. I had no problems whatsoever.
Good luck whatever you decide.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:17 am

You could ask to have one of those stool tests that detects blood in the stool. If it comes out positive, then I would have the colonoscopy. If it is negative, you could ask about waiting for a while. I would also talk to your GI as suggested.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”