What to eat?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tarap
Regular User

What to eat?

Postby tarap » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm

My last two infections I was so sick I couldn’t eat or think about eating. This time I actually have an appetite. Can I eat normal or should I avoid things. Should I consider this a milder case since I have an appetite?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What to eat?

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 am

I would probably stay away from spicy foods and introduce dairy slowly. Dairy causes problems for many. I had issues with vegetables and fruit. I would start on the blander side - chicken, turkey, fish, rice, baked potato, applesauce and if you have no issues, then start adding. Bananas are well tolerated by most (not by me), cooked carrots, green beans, zucchini.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 am

Also stay away from sugary treats and alcohol , they will also irritate the gut.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am

I’m about 5 months out and eat whatever I can tolerate. I had wasabi yesterday and am paying for it today but that would have happened pre cdiff. My ID and GI are from Lima Ohio and are experts in the field and were stern on getting back to a normal diet ASAP. They weren’t in the belief that you automatically became lactose intolerant or won’t be able to digest certain foods although it can happen. The sooner you can repopulate your gut with a variety of foods the sooner your on your way to recovery. Last week I did the ghost pepper wing challenge for a chance at a free T shirt....not smart btw. I had fiery D at least 10 times that morning but that also happened to my 20 yr old son who couldn’t finish. Dad got the T-shirt!

brandine
Regular User

Postby brandine » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm

I've been going with a bland/low fiber but fairly substantial diet for the first 3 months of recovery (rice, baked potatoes, gf pasta, baked chicken, tuna, salmon, rice chex, , gf bread, peanut butter, almond milk and NO regular milk or yogurt but still using butter, mayo, which are lower in lactose, for calories), especially since I had a near relapse about a month ago, and so I've just been trying to stabilize symptoms so that I wouldn't worry "is it the food?" or "is it a relapse?" BUT now I'm going to start intentionally re-introducing foods, going with what D1dad said about trying to get back to normal. I'd be interested in hearing, D1dad, if you're also taking probiotics (Thanks for sharing what your doctors shared with you! Sounds like wise advice.)

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:21 pm

As soon as I finished treatment I went right back to eating whatever I wanted. I've tolerated everything well (hot wings, cheese burgers, steak, mexican food, Chinese food, Thai food, Italian food, Pizza, etc) In the 8 months since I finished treating I can count the number of times I've had D on 1 or 2 hands.

I would try going back to your pre c diff diet and see how you do.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Good for those of you who can tolerate all foods but from my experience and the experiences of the multitudes of those who post here, you are in the minority.
Do as you wish but remember, if you eat adventurously right away and have d, you not only won’t know which food is the cause but you won’t know if it is food related or is a relapse.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”