I’m back again dificid taper question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tarap
Regular User

I’m back again dificid taper question

Postby tarap » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 pm

So a fast recap. I got cdiff after taking cephlexan for a finger infection. Took flagyl tested negative twice after and was good for about 11 months. Had a miscarriage (no antibiotic) and got cdiff again. Took dificid. Never tested till now 9 weeks post dificid and I am positive again. I’m starting a dificid taped. Question is: anyone do well on a dificid taper? My dr says it’s strange I get it back so far out.
I’m 34 female.
I need all the advice I can get to get rid of this for good.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: I’m back again dificid taper question

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 am

One of our moderators, NanciT did a Dificid taper successfully. You can send her a PM.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 am

Do you have c.diff symptoms or did you test to see if its gone?

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 am

I had symptoms again for 6 days before I tested.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 am

We have had several posters who have done a Dificid taper. I failed the 10 days but then did a taper which worked. I did not feel "normal or great" after and did have post IBS but it worked!!! Here I am 4 years later. I still have IBS but NO Cdiff.
Dificid does work, I believe the taper works the best in tough cases.

Wishing you the best with it

NanciT

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Nancy , how many times did you relapse before taking the dificid taper? I feel like it is mild for me right now so I’m hoping that makes this go away easier. But I know cdiff is so different with everyone. I’m getting married in March and would like to wear a white wedding dress without crapping myself. I’m sure the stress isn’t helping.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Are you sure you actually have/had c diff? It’s so unusual to have it so far out. Was your test interpreted correctly?

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I had the pcr test the last two times. It just says positive for cdiff toxin a/b nucleic acid.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm

I stared with Flagyl, failed. Went to Vanco 10 days, failed. Went to Pulse Taper of Vanco for 3 months, failed. Went to Dificid for 10 days, failed. Then went on a 4 month pulse taper of Dificid. This we over a years time with 2-3 weeks between relapses.
I will also add they stopped doing FMT's in 2014 when the FDA stated they were risky. I was on a waiting list for the only GI I could find that was doing FMTs.
Dificid works! Thankfully!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 pm

You could also ask for your PCR test to be followed up by an EIA toxin test. That is what my hospital lab does for all positive c diff tests because it may not be an active infection. I was positive PCR and negative EIA for over two years. I did not treat, except Pepto bismol when I would have IBS type symptoms.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”