When Does IBS Get Better?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Obreezy
New User

When Does IBS Get Better?

Postby Obreezy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm about 8 months out from treatment (3 rounds total of antibiotics). Over the first 6 months I gradually improved, but I feel like in the past 2 months things have been slowly going downhill. I feel bloated all the time and foods that used to be "safe" are now giving me problems. I'm really frustrated and wondering if I'll ever get back to normal.

How long did it take you guys to no longer have problems with PI-IBS?

What are some things you cut out of your diet that seemed to help?

Any other advice to help with managing symptoms/recovering?

Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: When Does IBS Get Better?

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 am

It varies from individual to individual, but my GI said 1 to 1.5 years. Sugar and gluten are things that some people cut out and it helps. I had SIBO after c diff that complicated things. Your symptoms sound similar. Ask your Gi about SIBO. There is a breath test that you can take to see if you have it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 am

The elimination diet (FODMAP diet) is often used to find out witch foods agree with you , check it out.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Are you taking probiotics?

Obreezy
New User

Postby Obreezy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Beth, hopefully that means I’m about halfway there. I might cut out gluten as part of the FODMAP diet in a couple weeks. I’ll also keep SIBO in mind. Is that typically treated with more antibiotics? I’m kind of horrified of taking them again lol

Georgina, I’ve read about the FODMAP diet before and plan on trying it out next month if things don’t improve (I have a weird living situation in August that makes it hard to cook for myself). About how long do people stay on that before they start to add things back in?

D1Dad, I used to take a ton of probiotics and I think they made me feel worse. For the past few months I’ve eaten 1 greek yoghurt per day and occasionally had some Kefir. This past week I’ve cut both out hoping that would improve my symptoms.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:09 pm

That’s where I’m going as well. My GI wanted me to take it for a month or so after and had no issues longer if they were tolerated. I was started to get bloated after taking it for going on 5 months and todays day 1 without it. I must say I’m feeling pretty well, even better without it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 pm

For some people IBS can last longer and in that case there are medications that can help with it, from simple antispasmodics to more complex medications. I have taken several different medications to help me which have made my life tolerable but that hopefully may not be the case with you. My GI has cited different studies which are not conclusive as to the time it can last....
SIBO is typically treated with a 2 week course of xifaxan, which also works sometimes works with IBS also. But IBS is more likely the culprit- check with your GI in any case.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 am

The elimination phase is for 6 weeks , after that you start adding the foods back into your diet one at the time. It is not advised to add more then one because if you get a reaction you won't know witch food provoked it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”