Diet Soda

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LHutz
Regular Contributor

Diet Soda

Postby LHutz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 pm

I went to the county fair a few weeks ago and ate a lot of junk food that I don't normally eat. Later that evening I had a BM that was only mucus and blood. I think I only experienced that one other time in recovery but it did occurred frequently when I had an active infection. The next day I was fine and I have not had any M since then. I assumed that the junk food probably didn't agree with me and caused the M and B. However, I recently read that there is research indicating that some artificial sweeteners may cause c diff to over populate and lead to infection.

I had a bottle of Coke Zero at the fair. I rarely drink soda. It was the first diet soda I had since being diagnosed with c diff.

Now I'm wondering if the Coke Zero may have caused the M and blood that night. Has anybody has any issues with diet soda?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Diet Soda

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:02 am

I don't drink soda at all anymore, but I have read the same thing about some sweeteners.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:04 am

Do stay away from ANY KIND of fast food or drinks like coke , fanta , sprite etc because they contain massive amounts of sugar or artificial sweeteners that can trigger a bad IBS flare. When i crave for a refreshing drink i make myself a jug of ice tea with lemon ,oranges, green tea or ginger tea , and a little bit of mint sweetened with honey (not the honey you buy in store because has sugar syrup in it , honey from the producer).

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 am

I can't imagine that simply drinking a can of Coke Zero would cause mucus and blood. Nor would it set the stage for a recurrence of C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”