Relapse without antibiotics?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sevla
Regular Contributor

Relapse without antibiotics?

Postby sevla » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 am

Hi all,
I had not been on the site for a while. The post cdiff Ptsd is still very real. I got cdiff in 2015 after being in the hospital for 3 days to treat a staph infection. It took 4 months, several rounds of antibiotics and finally and FMT to get rid of it.

Things have never been the same since. I got long lasting "side effects" such as a mast cell disorder which resulted in many new allergies and constant inflammation in the body.

Fast-forward 4 years later, I had my gallbladder removed last Wednesday. I stayed 3 days in the hospital, released on Friday. No antibiotics were given, not during the surgery nor prior nor after.

Today I am having tummy issues. I had green/yellow stools with the very same smell, look and feel from my cdiff time. I am trying not to panic..and am at a loss as I didn't take any antibiotics in the past 4 years.. But is it possible to have a relapse without taking any antibiotics? Would a stay in a hospital + weakened immune system due to surgery be enough to have a new infection or relapse?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Relapse without antibiotics?

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:14 am

Sevia,
It is possible but not likely. If u continue to have problems, contact your doc.

We understand how
panicky you feel. I, too, had PTSD during bouts of c diff. I remember you.

Hooefully, u are just having an off day. Fingers crossed.

Keep us posted.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 am

Hi Sevla
Good to hear from you , although sorry you are having issues :(.
The D after removal of gallbladder unfortunately is to be expected (1 in 3 patients develop D) , it results from an increase in bile, especially bile acids, entering directly in the large intestine witch acts like a laxative.Doctors here advise patients to take a resin (binder) like Questran to help with the absorption of bile acids .Diet is also needed , if your diet is greasy, sugary etc it will create more looser stools.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Thank you, Bobbie and Georgina. It is crazy how this bacteria hunts you down for the rest of your life.

I have not taken any antibiotics, nor steroids nor acid reflux meds in 4 years. So I truly hope it is gallbladder related and that I am not part of another freak case of cdiff infection without taking any of the above and after an FMT back in the day.

I will watch my diet and look into the equivalent of questran here in Germany (where I now live).

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”