Concerns about False Negative

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mmm
New User

Concerns about False Negative

Postby Mmm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Test was done this morning. I’ve had 2 positives in 2018 treated with vanco but never have come fully back to ‘normal’. Very sensitive to foods etc.

An abx was administered in the ER (Bactrim) for a UTI and kidney infection as well as a passed stone. Three days in I started feeling swollen etc.

Vomiting one day. General flu like. Etc. WD yellow started today. Gastro on call said the test was negative- do the vanco for only 2 days and begin colostrid (?) Monday to ‘firm stools up’. I have a feeling by Monday the vanco will be working well. And I thought we never wanted to keep any bacteria in there.

I’m concerned it’s a false negative and I’m so aware of the symptoms I just tested very early. I don’t want to wait and see it get worse. - doc said I ‘could really need vanco one day’ and be immune. Thanks

roy
Administrator

Re: Concerns about False Negative

Postby roy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm

If you had c.diff that was causing symptoms the test would detect it.
Today's tests are very sensitive.
Vanco is an important antibiotic that you dont want to take if it's not needed.
It also has side effects of it's own, it can cause bladder and kidney problems amongst other things.
Many posters get UTI type symptoms during or after taking vanco but dont have a UTI when tested.
Congrats on the negative c.diff test.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Concerns about False Negative

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 pm

The D can be due to the antibiotic , doesn't necessarily mean Cdiff is back ,if you are testing negative you might want to hold off the treatment ,give it a day or two and see if symptoms subside . As Roy said , Vanco should be used only when Cdiff is confirmed , not when is suspected.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”