C-diff relapse 2 years later?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
rouk
Brand New Poster

C-diff relapse 2 years later?

Postby rouk » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Hello all, my name is Kristin. I got c-diff DURING my pregnancy after the OB put me on 8 different antibiotics for a Uti (telling me it was really bad and that I could go into preterm labor and lose little boy) I had c-diff for four months of my pregnancy and it wasn't the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life and that's saying a fair amount in itself. I was on Vanco for three months but relapsed after each does ended within 1-3 days. Next was Dificid which is what kicked the horrible thing. They wouldn't give me an FMT due to being pregnant but also used me as a case study because Dificid was newer and they said they didn't have studies on pregnant woman and if it would hurt the baby. They believed the risk was more with the FMT than the drugs, though that's what got me into the mess in the first place. Long story short, it's been two years a month ago. I was INSANE c-diff PTSD. I mean, everything I touch when I am out, every food place my family eats in, most times I order nothing and just sit there. Even though I have used cdiff safe bleach from the floors to the ceiling, I still won't use the bathroom I was using while I was sick and no one else in the house does either. Thankful for 3 bathrooms lol.

After having my second son, the dentist said I needed 6 teeth filled (had 1 cavity before in my life) than another dentist said 12... Once the work started getting done everything went does hill. I had to use amox eight months ago, tried to build my gut up while using it and made it out okay. On Tuesday the dentist apprentaly put "Arestin" in my gums. Two or thee 1mg does. The problem is A. He was told I am nursing and CAN NOT take antibiotics unless I'm dying, therefor I don't have to die from taking them. B. The drug contantly releases for 21 DAYS. I am at a total loss. I will NEVER go there again. Hours later I started feeling weird. The next day I had lose stool, twice. Two days later, chills, body aches, pain in lower right side, Low grade fever. I also had the urge to go the bathroom along with all the other issues that I listed that I also had with c-diff. The bowl movements were no stool just yellow mucus (again, like the c-diff) and now today I have the headaches, the stomach noise (loud gurgling, non stop) gas, burping, body pain and stomach pain on the right side that wraps around to back but only went the bathroom once and it was mush the size of a nickel. That's it. I feel like all of these issues point to c-diff. The yellow mucus, flu like body pains, etc. I talked with the GI office and they said they will test on Monday but to go to the hospital if it gets worse.

I just called the on call GI doctor because I was thinking I don't want to wait and have it get worse and worse if I can't get tested until Monday and results by tues-weds. But right now I am not passing anything.. therefor there isn't anything to test? He said it's odd that tetracycline would react that quickly but honestly that doesn't surprise me at all. One does of clindamycin and the c-diff was there. He said maybe it was symptoms of that antibiotic. It drives me nuts that its a slow 21 day release and I can't stop it or get it out of my body!!

Any advice for a sad, sick, momma? I don't want to make the wrong choice with two young babies, so any advice is welcome! This forum was a help to me two years ago. Thank you all for sharing your pain, woes and stories of healing with me unknowingly!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: C-diff relapse 2 years later?

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 am

Hi Kristin,

C. diff infection two years after the initial infection wouldn't be a relapse, it would be a new infection. Even several months after initial infection would likely be a new infection, not relapse. That said, the symptoms you describe don't especially sound like C. diff. My Google search of arestin found several of your symptoms listed as common side effects; see https://www.rxlist.com/arestin-side-eff ... center.htm

The article also says that, as you note, arestin shouldn't be used in pregnant or nursing women. Also that it's used for root canals and gum-planing procedures. But not for cavities. No antibiotic whatsoever would be needed for the latter. Your dentist sounds incompetent; I think you're right to plan not to return to him.

Treatment for C. diff ought not be based on a test result but rather on symptoms. I would wait another few days to see if the symptoms you mentioned resolve. If you continue to feel unwell, a GI appointment makes sense.

There's no real reason to avoid use of a bathroom just because it was used during C. diff. Any risk posed, probably minuscule in the first place, would have been addressed by the bleach application.

Hope you feel better soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

rouk
Brand New Poster

Re: C-diff relapse 2 years later?

Postby rouk » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks so much for your reply, AllisS. I really appreciate it. You're right, I will keep an eye on everything and check in with my GI if things get worse. I am still feeling really ill and in pain but had a semi formed bowl movement this morning and had no diarrhea yesterday. I did stop nursing my son the day I found out what was place in my gum, he is almost two and while I'm sad to stop, I won't risk his health. I know my anxiety plays a part in it all too. C-diff is a master at playing with your mind and joy. Thank you again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”