UTI/KIDNEY infection...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mmm
New User

UTI/KIDNEY infection...

Postby Mmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

Hi. I’ve had c diff 2x last year (2018) last time being in sept. Both treated with Vanc. A week ago I was in the ER with severe ‘UTI’ symptoms and blood. Lots of blood. Docs assumed I passed a stone and have a UTI/kidney infection. They were going to put me on ceftriaxone which was my no no last year. The attending gave me Bactrim which I shakily started. I managed 7 pills out of the ordered 14. I don’t *know* if I have cdiff but I am swollen and my stools are looser and yellow. I know they won’t run a test yet.
My question is should I just start vanco again? I have enough for another round of treatment. Would this prevent it from getting worse. I also read that vanc treats some UTIs. The pain from that has gone. I have been taking s boulardi as well as theralac probiotic. I have an Rx for VSL3 as well. Thanks in advance.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UTI/KIDNEY infection...

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:34 am

I am not a doctor, but as far as I know oral vanco will not treat a UTI. Probably the IV vanco will. Oral stays in the intestinal tract only. Some doctors give vanco along with antibiotics, some don't as a preventative. I would call your GI or the doctor who treated you for the c diff and ask what to do in this case.

Mmm
New User

Postby Mmm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm

I’ve called all docs I have that ‘suppsedly’ Work with me. Left one message with gastro. Office lady with infectious disease said BOTH docs are out and she’ll leave a message for the on call. The UTI symptoms have stopped. I feel and fear most will say ‘wait and bring in a sample’. I would rather it not get to that point.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm

If you go on to develop frequent watery D you might need treating but 4 out of 5 cases of antibiotic associated D are NOT c.diff.
It might be foolish and harmfull to self treat with left over vanco.
Best scenario is that your body recovers and defeats whatever is causing the D.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm doubtful that you need three different probiotics at once. Probiotics can cause GI symptoms, themselves. There's also not much in the way of evidence, to date, that they are actually helpful. It probably doesn't hurt to take one probiotic at a time -- but three seems like overkill.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Mmm
New User

Re: UTI/KIDNEY infection...update

Postby Mmm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am

So after a few days of gas, cramping and swelling the D has started today. 7 days from initial abx dose of Bactrim. I started vanco (my last doc had ordered so many refills regardless of cdc standards because I was traveling out of the country).

This will be #3 for me - I don’t want to test. I’ve called Gastro and both docs are ‘out’ and attending did not call back.

I called infectious disease. Left a message. No reply.

I don’t see the need to go to the hospital for a test and potentially spread. I’ve got my bleach bottle. My bathroom only - and I believe within two days you are non infectious? Is this true??

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”