Newly Diagnosed and Scared-Please Help

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnosed and Scared-Please Help

Postby D1dad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Pretty much and it sucks. Some thing that really helped me but as always is trial and error for others. Whey protein powder mixed with almond milk, benefiber helped to calm the stomach and obviously pepto on the days that really sucked. As long as your not destroying the bathroom like you were when you had it your probably on the upswing. Time moves fast but not when you have cdiff but it will pass.

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 am

Spoke to my ID doctor this morning. He said not to retest but he wants me to get on the Vanco again for 10 more days because it "cant hurt". I hate taking all of the meds especially because I am so unsure if this is a relapse of just part of recovering. My biggest issue the last few days is that I have zero energy, have severe body aches and feel completely washed out. I have been going to work but am in a complete fog. I have no appetite and feel like throwing up all day especially when I am eating. I am wondering if there is something else going on or if I picked up something else along the way.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:02 pm

If your Dr says an extra 10 days of vanco cant hurt it's time to get a new Dr!
Also any Dr that's willing to prescribe vanco on that basis is going against FDA instructions that vanco is a "reserved" medication that must not be prescribed unless a Dr is sure its appropriate!

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 pm

So..I spoke with my stomach doctor as well. I have had multiple bouts of Water D today. He gave me a stool test to take home to send in to the lab. He believes that this is recurrent CDIFF and agrees I should take the Vanco again at the high dose for 14 days (250mg 4 times a day). I am so upset about this. I have a family vacation in 10 days. And after that a cross country work trip, If I miss my work trip there will be serious reprecussions with my job. Should I wait for the results of the stool test or should I start the Vanco? I am leaning towards starting the meds again. I feel really hopeless right now. I am worried about giving this to my kids and my wife.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear this and I know how frustrating it can be. If it were me and I was in this predicament I’d listen to my doctors unless things miraculously improved today. I wish you well and to ease your mind on passing it to your wife and kids, I didn’t and we used the same bathroom for over a week before I was diagnosed. I thought I had just contracted some stomach bug. My D went away for a day or two and then came back worse than ever and we took no bleaching precautions because I was clueless about cdiff. My daughter has been on antibiotics since and didnt come down with it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Great response from other posters - one of the reasons for this site. Misery loves company!

Hang in there, everyone. Take it day by day or hour by hour. You have lots of company.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”