Discouraged- Spore biotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
JimV715
New User

Discouraged- Spore biotics

Postby JimV715 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am

I am currently doing a vanco taper (1 every third day) regimen after flagyl for my initial and previous vanco for my first recurrence. On most days I am pretty good with a decent BM but it seems as though by the third day my stools are looser and more urgent. This whole slowly building up my good flora in between doses seems to be all guesswork. I feel like as soon as I am done with my dosing in two weeks I will relapse within days and will need a FMT. I'm hopeful the FMT will finally work, but I feel like since nothing has to this point it's hard to be optimistic.

I am also taking Florastor, Turmeric, Zinc and glutamine to help the healing. I went to a functional medicine guy I went to for those supplements also suggested something called MegaSpore. A spore biotic. As I read about that, I got scared so I decided not to take that. Has anyone heard of Megaspore or sporebiotics? They are apparently bacteria that are more resilient to stomach acid and theoretically populate the colon better. But some of the things I read indicate that they could potentially be harmful as, like C diff, they would be hard to get rid of with antibiotics if they ever overpopulated and caused infection. I am just so overwhelmed by all of the possible things I should be taking to help. I don't want to miss something that could help me. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Discouraged- Spore biotics

Postby AllisS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 am

Loose stools and urgency don't mean C. diff; they're a typical symptom of IBS, which many posters on the site suffer from. That said, it's too bad that Dificid wasn't prescribed after the first vanco treatment failed. If you were to have another relapse, you may want to ask for Dificid prior to considering FMT.

None of the probiotics, except for Florastor, have shown clinical evidence of being preventative against C. diff. Even the more hopeful data for Florastor are based on studies of hospitalized patients. I'd curtail use of the supplements you mentioned, as there's no evidence backing their usefulness for C. diff either, and all supplements carry the possibility of side effects of their own. Ditto Megaspore and sporebiotics.

Don't give up! The vast majority recover from C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Discouraged- Spore biotics

Postby georgina » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I am taking Megasporebiotic on and off since last summer. It's the best probiotic i've tried.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”