My doctor wants to give me a round of Vanco. I took flagyl previously. I'm not sure if I should.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
posthxc
New User

Re: My doctor wants to give me a round of Vanco. I took flagyl previously. I'm not sure if I should.

Postby posthxc » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm

I really appreciate all the input. She certainly is archaic in her way of thinking. She's not even actually a doctor she's a pa. She works with my GI doc. At any rate, I know they are supposed to reject samples that don't meet the criteria. I read about that. The sample I gave wasn't watery but it did meet the criteria. i.e. it formed to the container. My bm's have been loosely formed but they look a lot like when I had been first infected. I apologize for this but the smell is also the same. I also take Florastor and I have a couple bottles of Kefir. A few containers of Chobani. My bm I had this morning looked a lot more like regular than anything I've produced since being diagnosed. I think I will see about getting a new GI. I'm already on the Firvanq though. And I have to have another scope in September to make sure they cauterized all the bleeds in the ulcer. I will keep trying to educate her. I always educate myself fully about any conditions I have; medications, etc. My doctor's always say I'm a very pleasant patient because I practically do their job for them. I'm not trying to be pretentious but I do read a lot. I am also a former heroin addict so I've educated myself on a variety of medications and medical conditions. I was amused when I was diagnosed with C Diff. I generally consider myself well informed about most medical conditions, but I'd never heard of C diff. At any rate I really appreciate all the support and opinions, and I do agree with everyone. I'm kind-of at the mercy of who I have to work with at the moment. Only 13 more days on the ABX. I'll keep you updated.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: My doctor wants to give me a round of Vanco. I took flagyl previously. I'm not sure if I should.

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 pm

You ought not feel obligated to take a medication simply to appease a medical provider! I'm doubtful that stopping the antibiotic, which you've barely begun, would cause any harm. In fact, at least one recent study has shown the opposite to be the case:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... study-says
A physician's assistant would lack the expertise necessary to make the kind of decisions that you've entrusted to her -- and she's demonstrated her inepitude to the point where, if I were you, I'd feel extremely uneasy about following her recommendations. Yet you seem inclined, for some unfathomable reason, on continuing to do so.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm

This is crazy! You don’t really need another post - Roy said it all- but besides that test never should have been ordered lab is not not supposed to test unless specimen is so soft it takes the shape of the container.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 am

AllisS: Thank you for your input. I admire your enthusiasm. I'm not entirely convinced the initial dose of flagyl eliminated the issue. To be quite honest I'm worried that not following my healthcare provider's instruction, although she may be inept, could result is something like say, peritonitis, or possibly toxic megacolon. I don't feel like this conversation is going in a positive direction. Honestly what could a round of Firvanq hurt. In the face of a life threatening illness. I already have anxiety issues. Taking this abx lessens that for me.

Ril: I'm sorry if you misunderstood my previous post. The specimen was soft and took the shape of the container, that is why they did the test. I also understand that there was no need for a test. I've been all over the CDC's site about it. I know they don't like to retest because I could be a carrier forever.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”