Fmt cure-safe zone-when can I declare success

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jG43
Contributor

Fmt cure-safe zone-when can I declare success

Postby jG43 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Update. I had a fmt via colonoscopy on March 19 after 3 relapses due to clindamycin. I am now over 3 months -14 weeks post fmt. I usually have 1 solid bm a day. I am able to eat pretty much anything except for fried food. However I occasionally have days with 1-3 loose stools with some mucus. I have gone to having off days instead of off weeks. I have had clinical diagnosed OCD for over 15 years and I feel that if my bm is not perfect it is a relapse. My anxiety over relapse goes through the roof when this happens. I cannot really find a clear answer on what is considered a safe zone or time when relapse is very unlikely without taking antibiotics. Open Biome,who I got transplant from, says 8 weeks. Some sources say 3 months or 6 months? I just want to feel that I have been successfully treated. I feel like the chance of this coming back without taking antibiotics would be very small. My GI, who is awesome, says no d no test because the lab will not test formed stool. Sorry for the venting but I want to be able to write my success story to help others. Thoughts?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fmt cure-safe zone-when can I declare success

Postby NanciT » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm

I can't give you an exact date but can assure you even those who do not have OCD worry about a relapse if treated with medication or FMT. It takes time. That is really what I see on this site. Time.

Looking back to my treatment which was in 2014-2015 after 5 relapses, I wish I had been able to move forward faster and not have all the worry. I do work in a hospital setting so I really worried for a long time. Today 4 years later, I don't worry as much and I do have concern over taking any antibiotic but I was able to take Kelfex in 2016 without relapse.

It sounds like you are doing great. We all have "off" days I felt secure 3 months after I completed my Dificid taper, I just wish I had not spent so much time worrying. This illness can wreak havoc with our minds.

I hope as the days pass, you have continued wellness

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”