Fear after poor luck

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
PatmanMI
New User

Fear after poor luck

Postby PatmanMI » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 am

I am a 34 year old male that is 4 months out from a 10 day course of vancomycin. I have been doing pretty good during the recovery stage, with the last 1-2 weeks being mostly T1 (longest stretch of my life since I have suffered with IBS-D my entire life). Unfortunately this past Sunday while doing some home renovating, the drain line that services both a toilet and a sink needed to be fixed to add in a vent to help with draining/flushing. I was the person on the ground, and poor luck had a little dribble of water fall down onto some wires and splash a few small drops (maybe 2-3) onto my lips. I don't think and got directly in my mouth, and I immediately spit into the bucket, washed my hands then washed my face/lips, washed out my mouth with water a few times spitting in-between. This is sent my stomach into a tizzy, going from T1 on Sunday morning to T6 this morning.

This is not a bathroom I really every use, as it's almost exclusively used my by wife and 3 year old daughter (or mother in-law). Ironically, I had just replaced the toilet 3 days prior, and bleached it 2 days prior since it got clogged (due to the venting issue we were working to correct). Both my wife and daughter are on the constipated side as well, which I view as better than the other way.

The fear that day almost immediately wiped out my appetite, and I haven't fully gotten that back, and my sleep is struggling as well (stress before this wasn't helping, but this put the stress into overdrive). I keep telling myself that the odds of this being a problem for me are astronomical, but my nerves don't listen to reason. I am taking florastor and ultimate Flora for probiotics (never stopped taking them after my infection, and tolerate then very well).

The pipe wasn't full of water or anything (just a tiny amount was in there since it has proper pitch to it), so I guess I'm looking for agreement that I'm overreacting. Clearly this wasn't ideal, but that I should be fine (and avoid being near any drain line repair in the future. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for all responses, they are truly appreciated.

roy
Administrator

Re: Fear after poor luck

Postby roy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 am

When you consider the amount of rubbish you eat in a year you might calm down about a few drops of foul liquid!
Did you know the average coffee drinker swallows 140,000 pieces of insects in a year?
That half a cup of frozen broccoli is allowed up to 60 insects before it's considered unfit?
That's for insects so just imagine the bacteria we swallow!
Also look on the bright side.
That liquid might have the formulation of a perfect FMT and be good for you!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fear after poor luck

Postby NanciT » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:24 am

I think we all know the unrealistic fear we carry once we have this illness. It sounds like after one round of Vanco you are doing great, that is fantastic.
The other part of this is the fear we are left with, thoughts that creep into our minds. It is something i have dealt with alot working in a hospital. Thankfully each year it becomes less and less. It takes time.

What really JUMPED out of your post is that you are 4 months out of one round of Vanco....so fortunate compared to so many on this site.

I know that does not lesson the fear, but your body did a great job getting rid of CDIFF, have that peace of mind as the days and months pass.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”