Knee surgery and Cefazolin (Ancef) one year after C. diff diagnosis

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
SBrash
Brand New Poster

Knee surgery and Cefazolin (Ancef) one year after C. diff diagnosis

Postby SBrash » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 am

My 16-year-old daughter (15 at the time) developed C. diff after being prescribed PenVK and then cefdinir. After treatment with Flagyl she relapsed and the C. diff resolved after a ten-day course of Vanco. This all ended August 2018. She will be having knee surgery next month and part of the protocol is to give her 24 hours of perioperative Ancef. I am terrified that the C. diff will recur. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? Advice for me? She's having her surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, so I know she'll be in good hands, but I can just feel the anxiety building in me already. Thank you for any advice anyone can provide!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Knee surgery and Cefazolin (Ancef) one year after C. diff diagnosis

Postby Ril » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:17 pm

I had the same course of illness and treatment for c diff, and had shoulder surgery about 1 year later also. Protocol was 1 Gram of IV Ancef during surgery and I was in a panic but because they had to staple into bone I was afraid to refuse. I took Florastor twice daily before surgery and for about 3 months afterward and was fine. I would just ask how critical it is for the whole 24 hour regime given her history. Regardless chances are all will go well.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 pm

I had hip replacement several years after C. diff and was given a dose of a wide-spectrum antibiotic during surgery and then a couple of times in the 24 hours afterword. Like Ril, I took Florastor starting several weeks before the surgery and continuing for several months afterward. I had no recurrence of C. diff -- so perhaps this regimen helped.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

SBrash
Brand New Poster

Postby SBrash » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”