Vanco Taper question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
JimV715
New User

Vanco Taper question

Postby JimV715 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 am

First off, thank you to whoever hosts and manages this site. This condition is isolating and beyod awful

My story briefly, Cdiff round 1 after being on an antibiotic for a sinus infection was treated with Flagyl, recurred within a week. Second round was 10 days of vanco, also recurred quickly. Most recently another round of vanco (125mg 4X) completed a week ago and I started the taper portion last week. My doctor has me on 125 MG every third day. My question, (and I apologize if it has already been covered here), is what is normal during the taper period? I get no real guidance from doctors as to specifically what to expect. I had two great days on Friday and Saturday with solid one-time BMS. Took my vanco on Sunday and ended up having a second BM later in the day which is rare, and then today loose stool in the am. This is disconcerting after feeling like I was making progress. Is it normal for the vanco to disrupt things a bit during taper?

Also, I have seen a couple of different people who have helped me get on several things to help me heal my gut. I feel like maybe I am on too many things, but I am trying everything possible. I am on Florastor, other probiotics, turmeric, and glutamine powder. I feel like the glutamine powder was a great recommendation for helping to heal my antibiotic-ravaged gut. Has anyone else used it?

I am scared and anxious about my situation. I can't continue to lose out on feeling well. I know that my situation may not sound as bad as others, but to me it's been devastating. I'm afraid of the FMT option being a last resort and after reading accounts on here that have not been successful. I'm in need of emotional support which I am sure you can all relate to Thanks

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Taper question

Postby NanciT » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello Jim and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

First, I want to let you know while on Vanco and tapering BM's can be all over the place. What we look for as far as relapse is all symptoms to return including watery D. When I had a relapse, it was clear to me. But during my tapers I found nothing consistent. I did stick with a bland diet and added foods slowly. This took me awhile.

As far as supplements, the Florester is great. Do be careful about other supplements. I don't know about the glutamine powder, but we have had several posters take tumeric.

While under treatment, I only took VSL#3 which is a probiotic, was not able to tolerate Florester.

Emotionally, CDIFF can wreak havoc, we talk about the brain/gut relationship on the site often. It takes time, we are all used to getting sick and taking medication...and getting well. CDIFF may take time, some recover quickly and others take time.

Right now follow your taper and let Vanco do it's job. Try not to worry about an FMT, if you were to relapse there is also Dificid which works and did cure me of CDIFF.

Take Care and feel better soon

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm

If you Dr switched from 125mg 4X a day to 125mg once in 3 days that's not a normal taper.
Typically it's taken 125mg 4X for 14 days, 125mg 2X 7 days, 125 1X 7 days and only then 1X every 3 days

JimV715
New User

Postby JimV715 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for your responses. Roy, what would you suggest I do about that taper? These doctors don't seem to like to be questioned. Is there something I can cite as evidence that the tapering regimen I am on is not effective or valid ? Is it destined to fail?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm

This might help convince your Dr.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VPwhKQhe39

And here's the latest US pharmacy guide

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/up ... for-adults

What your on might work but it's not one of the commonly used regimes.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”