Diagnosed via colonoscopy, but EIA negative?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MSpector
New User

Re: Diagnosed via colonoscopy, but EIA negative?

Postby MSpector » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:00 pm

Oh, I guess I didn't mention, he did do a biopsy. However it doesn't specifically say anything about C. diff (I got a copy of the pathology report too). It's kinda weird because under the "Microscopic Description" section, it just says "A microscopic description has been performed". While under that same section on the pathology report for my recent endoscopy (which I also got when I went to get the colonoscopy records, just out of curiosity), there's a whole detailed breakdown of the biopsy they took from that. Anyway, from what I can tell, that section is where any confirmation that it's definitely C. diff related would be. So I don't really know.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:56 pm

I have never heard of such a thing. That is not a complete report. You can request the complete report and specify you want the biopsy results.

MSpector
New User

Postby MSpector » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Okay, quick question. Is it entirely out of the realm of possibility that I did have C. diff (after all, up until a few weeks ago I did have watery D and mucus) and it was bad enough to cause the p. colitis, but I got over it on my own and the colitis the Dr. saw simply hasn't gone away yet? I'm still leaning towards the colitis being of an entirely different origin, given the negative test results, but would this scenario be possible at all? Just throwing things out there and trying my best to understand what's going on here in the absence of, y'know, an actually helpful doctor.

MSpector
New User

Postby MSpector » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Just wanted to stop by and give an update:

So today, after two Flagyl courses and months of uncertainty, my procto finally admitted that he was "barking up the wrong tree", apologized, and changed my diagnosis to UC (he now thinks the colitis isn't pseudomembranous at all, and having finally seen the pictures myself, I agree with that). Seems like the doubts I had about the C. diff diagnosis from the beginning weren't unfounded! I just wish I'd pushed him a little harder to reconsider the pseudomembranous colitis/C. diff diagnosis so I could have avoided the second Flagyl course, at the very least. But oh well, it's in the past now and I was fortunate enough to not have all that many side effects from the Flagyl anyway. Thank you to everyone here who took the time to reply and reassure me that I wasn't off-base in doubting the initial diagnosis.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:36 am

Next time you have doubts about a diagnose ,do not just jump on the treatment , if your gut feeling is telling you that he might be wrong you go look for another doctor and get a second opinion.Doctors are also humans , they make mistakes !

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 am

Not too sure if I would accept the UC diagnosis either!
My advice is to make an effort and travel to get a second oppinion from a better doctor.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”