Road trip while on vanco taper

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nodakgal
Brand New Poster

Road trip while on vanco taper

Postby nodakgal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi! I am a 66 yr old F who contracted c diff after being prescribed amoxicillin for a cold with cough, high wbc, low fever. I would see a doctor for yearly checkups and can't remember how many decades since I had an antibiotic. In retrospect, I would love to go back and say "no thanks " to the antibiotic, but here I am. I live in a small town in ND so this board has been a godsend for support and information. Five days after my last dose of amoxicillin, watery diarrhea multiple times a day began, but after checking online, saw that was a common side effect of the drug, lasting sometimes up to 2 weeks. So I stayed home and didn't go in until ten days later. Then it took 5 days to get a stool sample result (it was over a weekend and needed to be sent away). I tested positive for c diff and did a ten day vancomycin regimen starting on May 7, 2019, but relapsed after ten days, and so have started a vanco taper: 4 a day for 10 days, 2 a day for 7 days, then daily for 7 days and then every 3rd day for 4 weeks. I have tolerated the vanco well (knock on wood) and have stuck to a bland diet. My questions: We have a long-planned road trip to Washington to see our son and leave in 5 days. I will be on the 2 a day and once daily while we are gone. What are the chances I have symptoms during this tapering phase? We are staying with friends on a number of nights and don't want to take any chances. (I am bringing my bleach wipes.) Also, what food choices are conducive to 10 hours in a car? I have lost 7 pounds and was thin, very active, and rarely sick before this. C diff has hijacked my life and makes it hard not to get depressed. Thanks for any help.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Road trip while on vanco taper

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 am

Hi nodakgal and welcome to the site. Please read over the first forum for information for new posters. I traveled with a relapse of c diff, but I was on full strength vanco - I think 3 times a day 250mg or it may have been 4. I did well with twice a day, but I did relapse when I had been on vanco once a day for about a week. I would take along enough vanco to increase your dose if you relapse (ask your doctor for more if you need it and explain about the travels). I also found that Pepto Bismol was helpful for more minor issues. On a road trip, at least you can stop at a bathroom when needed. I would call your doctor and tell him or her and see what suggestions are offered to you.

nodakgal
Brand New Poster

Re: Road trip while on vanco taper

Postby nodakgal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks, beth22! I plan to bring along all of my vanco capsules and will call my NP if I have a relapse. What to eat has been a big problem while at home so not sure how I will manage for the ten days we are gone. I read "bread is bad due to the yeast" and "stay on the BRAT diet" but then, toast. Any diet suggestions out there would be so helpful.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”