Vanco Taper

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Fish1
Regular User

Vanco Taper

Postby Fish1 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Female Age 60
After finishing a two week course of clandimycin followed by a one week course of amoxicillian for abscessed tooth and facial cellulitis I developed c-diff within three weeks. I was aware of the danger as I had a family memeber who also was prescribed Clandimycin for a UTI infection And subsequently developed c-diff. Initially I refused and agured with my dentist but my infection was into my sinus cavity and I was scared enough with the thought it was going to travel to my brain that I surrendered and took it. While on it I took Florastor along with two yogurts a day and drank keifer.with the first sign of c-diff I went to my PCP who is a great doctor although no expert in c-diff but she seemed knowledgeable. Initially she prescribed Flagyl which I endured for four days but the nerve pain in my legs became unbearable so she switched me to vancomycin 125mg 4 times a day for10 days. I felt immediate relief. My diarrhea never became severe or uncontrollable but I think it was due to being aware and getting on meds the next day. slowly over the 10 days my stools firmed up and became near normal. Appetite returned and I thought that was a good sign. After completion I was good for three weeks and then the diarrhea came back. Prior to this second episode I had been constipated d for three days. I went In To doctor and she prescribed the Vanco Taper for me to keep on hand and use if needed. At that point I had no more episodes and went back to normal again so I didn’t start the taper. Fast forward to about a 8 or 9 days later and I had more diarrhea, again I had been constipated for two days prior to this episode so I thought I’ll wait it out for three days. On the third day I still had loose bowels, clear mucus one time, but no blood but I decided I better start it. That was Sunday morning and Today is Tuesday. After starting vanco again on Sunday I had one more episode of diarrhea,which was like Bristol 7. After that nothing. So for two days now I’ve been constipated. I went In Today to see my PCP and she said that I should finish the Vanco Taper because I may not be eating enough and that could be causing the constipation. She said we couldn’t test again for at least a month or two after antibiotics. As I said my diarrhea has never been what some have described. I even was in a car for 31/2 hours and never once stopped at the bathroom. This is actually how it’s been since the beginning. Maybe I can attribute that to getting on meds immediately. But my question is, could this just be PI IBS? Should I continue the Vanco Taper? My PCP physician says yes, it won’t hurt me to finish it and then we can go from there. Ive read in here that some GIs say don’t do that wait it out, however I’ve been on it for three days now I just don’t know what to do. My PCP is trying to get me In With a GI but frankly we have very limited choices here and the couple we have stayed booked up. I still haven’t heard back from them. I really need some in put from those of you who have more experience than I do. It’s so hard to make these important decisions ; and unfortunately I read a lot and scare Myself to death. My PCP thinks I had a mild case as my wbc count was normal but My initial test was positive. After I left her office I started experiencing a lot of gas pains in my
Intestines. Burping and passing a little gas. I’ve read about mega colon so of course I’m freaking out. Since the diarrhea started back again IVe been on the brat diet. Bananas oatmeal crackers Gatorade and chicken noodle soup. Last night I ate potatoes and green beans, but still nothing has passed but a minuscule amount this morning which looked like a Bristol 6. Anyway if anyone can offer any advice, not medical of course, but still it would be greatly appreciated.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanco Taper

Postby LHutz » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm

Some people do experience constipation during c. diff. I did. I was making 15+ BMs a day and then I went about 3 days of constipation after starting Vanco. I was also worried about toxic mega colon so I actually went to the ER. I was told that if I was passing gas and just had some uncomfortable bloating, it was just constipation. They assured me that if it was some kind of bowel obstruction or perforation, I would be in excruciating pain.

Coincidentally, While I was waiting in the ER, somebody came in who was suffering from a bowel perforation, and he was doubled over and screaming in pain and agony and telling the staff that he knew it was a perforated bowel because it had happened to him before. I felt really bad for that guy.

Fish1
Regular User

Re: Vanco Taper

Postby Fish1 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am passing gas. It’s just weird on Sunday morning I had diarrhea twice and started the vanco that morning as well. Since then I’ve been constipated. It makes me wonder if the c diff was really back or was it PI IBS. Saw my PCP today and she wants me to stay on vanco, so I guess I am. How long is too long with the constipation? I’m trying to get in with a GU who might could give me more answers but they still haven’t called me back.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”