Cdiff and E. coli

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tarap
Regular User

Cdiff and E. coli

Postby tarap » Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 am

I just got my test back positive for E. coli and cdiff after 11 months cdiff free no antibiotic use. I’m starting dificid today. Any idea how long till I will start to see improvement

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff and E. coli

Postby Ril » Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Are you sure you are positive for c diff toxins and not just the presence of c diff? E. coli will give you the d symptom the same as c diff colitis but if you don’t have the toxins you don’t have the disease and it is E. coli giving you the d.

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Mon May 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes I asked if it was positive for toxins and they said yes.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 27, 2019 1:19 pm

A PCR does not directly detect toxins but an inexperianced Dr might wrongly read it as if toxins have been detected.
Both E.coli and C.diff can be "normal" gut flora.
A PCR test is often followed with an EIA (toxin test) to confirm the result.

Whyme111
Regular User

Postby Whyme111 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Roy, how long does it typically take to get the test back to confirm toxins?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 pm

in ER about 4 hours but several days at normal Drs surgery.

If symptoms are vague/mild a PCR might no be the best test.
They should treat their patient not the test result.

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Mon May 27, 2019 2:20 pm

I’m not sure I can do a screen shot of the result but it says positive for cdiff toxin a/b. I asked before they sent me this if I was positive for the toxin or the antigen. She said she was never asked that before and looked and said the toxin. My symptoms did get worse yesterday Felt very much like cdiff. The last 7 days something was wrong but I wasn’t for sure what.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Wouldn't it be odd to have an active infection from both c diff and ecoli at the same time since an active c. diff infection basically means that the c. diff bacteria took over the gut and essentially wiped out the other flora?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 am

C.diff does not wipe out other bacteria.
It's the antibiotics, including c.diff treatment, that's responsible for the damage caused.
its 100% possible to have several POTENTIALY pathogenic organisms inside us
In fact it's probably much more unlikely that they would not be there!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am

Feeling like something is wrong and having c diff colitis is very different. I’d be very careful before starting antibiotics but that’s up to you. Multiple episodes of watery d is the general indicator of disease. You have no history of recent risk factors. It seems that the only reason you were even tested was because you had c diff 11 months ago or you might only have been tested for E. coli or not tested at all.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm

I just want to jump in to say I test positive for cdiff with every test, however we only treat if there are symptoms. I had norwalk virus and tested positive for norwalk AND cdiff... I waited a week for the noro to get better and the D stopped and life went on as usual.
I would not be surprised that the D was from ecoli and not cdiff itself. Obviously, you know your body best but I like to advocate to wait it out especially if you have another virus/infection that could be causing the D.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”