Can we drink alcohol??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Silviaxo
Regular User

Can we drink alcohol??

Postby Silviaxo » Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Can we have a drink?? Do you think it will be a bad idea??

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Can we drink alcohol??

Postby Musings » Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Not sure if the question is can you drink alcohol but should you.

If you are in the midst of an active infection, I would recommend against it. Alcohol is really rough on our GI tracts so will only cause additional pain/discomfort.

Even in recovery, I would hold off for awhile and add it back in slowly. It took about 4-6 months before I could tolerate a glass or two of wine without severe consequences.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 am

Also, if you are on Flagyl, by no means drink. You can get very sick.

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 pm

It's been about a year and my stomach is still sensitive to certain things.. but when I go out everyone has a drink besides me and it would be nice to drink as well lol but I'm very nervous can drinking alcohol cause a relapse?? And what alcohol is best?? Since I'm sensitive still

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Alcohol will not cause a relapse. It's only a question of your own physical comfort -- of whether or not alcohol causes GI discomfort. Alcohol in moderation tends to be relaxing, which is one of its benefits. I don't know that it matters whether you drink beer/wine or hard liquor, but a glass of wine might be a good place to start.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Alcohol will not cause a relapse. But it is an irritant to the GI system especially one that is still in the healing stages from am infection and inflammation. If you must try it go ahead but I will tell you it took me a long time before I could tolerate it and I do love my wine. At about a year I was able to drink wine but most of my food intolerances were also gone by then except for salad, so it’s up to you whether you think you are ready to try it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”