VSL 3

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

VSL 3

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue May 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Does anyone know why VSL 3 is no longer carried at pharmacies and other retail stores in the US? Walgreens told me it was recalled but not due to safety issues and my remaining pills are safe to take. However, they did not know the reason for the recall. The only place they can be purchased is the website, but I don't want to order from them until I get more information.

roy
Administrator

Re: VSL 3

Postby roy » Tue May 07, 2019 1:43 pm

The manufacturer was sued and it caused a supply problem.
Theres nothing wrong with the product if you can get it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 am

I think you can find VSL on Amazon, not sure , you should check it out .

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 am

https://www.vsl3.com/assets/v1/hcp/file ... Ruling.pdf

I have not had any issues with it. I did notice that the capsules and powder looked slightly different about a year or more ago. That is probably when they changed where they manufactured it.

Amazon now sells Visbiome and from what I read the original producer of VSL#3 alleged in the lawsuit that the VSL#3 that is now produced is inferior to the original, so they are selling Visbiome that claims to be like the original VSL#3. When I checked on amazon, they don't sell VSL#3, but they sell Visbiome. I am almost out of my VSL#3. I may try the Visbiome if I can't get the VSL#3 at the pharmacy.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 am

Thank you all and Beth, thanks for the sharing the letter. VSL isn't on Amazon and the Visbiome got mixed reviews. I called my GI yesterday and he recommended Allign but I tried that a few years ago and didn't react well. I was thinking about Culturelle or just going back to one Florastor a day. Thoughts? GI said I don't HAVE to take one but as I have mild IBS, I feel more comfortable taking one. If I need antibiotics at some point, I'd use Bio K Plus (as it's too expensive for every day use in my opinion) and Florastor.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm

I ran out of my VSL, which I've taken for years, about a week ago, and decided to wait a little while before trying to get more of it. I, too, have mild IBS, and, unexpectedly, have noted my symptoms seem to be BETTER off of the VSL. I'm going to give it another week or two before drawing any conclusions, at which point I may (or may not) look for more VSL, or try Visbiome or one of the other probiotics. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of data backing up the effectiveness of probiotics, other than Florastor for use in hospitalized patients (and I'm not sure how robust that evidence is, either). It's human nature to want to feel like one is "doing something" for prevention, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling case to be made for probiotics so far.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Funny thing...I always took Align and when I might need antibiotics my GI said to take Florastor. But for everyday, despite having terrible PI IBS he says do not bother to take even the Align!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am

Align and Culturelle did not agree with me and Florastor was the worst. I had to try different probiotics before I found the VSL#3. You can still get it online. I will check to see if any of the pharmacies have it. I just take a small amount - not even a capsule. Just put a little bit of the powder on some applesauce and it seems to help. If I take more, my symptoms, like Allison's are worse. But, if I don't take any, they are also worse. I will see who carries VSL#3 or if it is only available through their website. Will post an update when I have more information.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks, Beth!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 am

Apparently you can get VSL#3 online from their site, but there is a note that they are having issues with distribution. There is another online pharmacy that has it. You can google and see what is current. Apparently in 2016 VSL#3 was not quite the same formulation as the original - it did not use dairy to culture the bacteria and the inventor of the formula claims that it is substandard. Interestingly, I was able to tolerate more of it starting in 2016 when they apparently went to the other formula. I am lactose intolerant since c difficile. Not sure if the Visbiome would have a negative effect and not sure I want to spent around $70 to find out. None of the pharmacies here carry either now. Check in your area.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri May 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I am severely lactose intolerant but can tolerate both Align and Florastor very well. I cannot tolerate the Costco multistrain probiotic at all. It is very individual. The whole probiotic issue is very individual as is the question about how effective they are, other than Florastor, so each person has to try things out. I am fine with none but do take meds for severe PI IBS.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”