3 1/2 years and same symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

3 1/2 years and same symptoms

Postby hledgess » Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Hey so I was hoping someone that’s been around this cite for awhile might be able to chime in here .. so I’ve been negative now and pretty much symptom free as long as I stay on questran .. well last Sunday I came down with D anyway .. took extra medicine and that usually helps me with small bouts .. I didn’t go the next day which has happened before when I take so much .. but the next day was brutal . Lots of D and pain. So again I took more medicine.. same thing happened I didn’t go.. but then the next day I did but it was thin and loose at the end .. I then felt the urge to go in the middle of the day .. I was at work do I couldn’t but during my lunch I still felt this way and couldn’t.. this also made me shake ..I felt like this all night and couldn’t sleep. the next morning I woke up early and had to go. This isn’t my Norma I usually eat first .. it wasn’t D though . However since that Thursday I have felt the urge to go but don’t have to. I sometimes am able to pass gas . I haven’t been able to eat bc that intensifies this feeling .. my bum burns( dr checked for hemorrhoids and there’s not any) I remember feeling this pressure from c diff and am scared .. my dr ordered a bunch of test I plan on doing Wednesday just to make sure the questran is out of my system( I’ve been told it doesn’t effect it at all by a lab but I want to be totally sure) .. I have not been on any abx! I am careful I wash my hands before I eat or my mouth .. I wash good after using the restroom and shower after I get home from work bc I’m a teacher and the kids are gross lol.. my question is how likely is it that it’s c diff?? Are there any real numbers on how likely this is??

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: 3 1/2 years and same symptoms

Postby Musings » Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm

After 3 1/2 years and no antibiotic use or hospital stay, I would say the chances are slim to none. This could be a stomach bug, a pathogen, or possibly a really bad stretch of IBS but I don't Questran alone would be able to provide days without a bowel movements if this was c.diff again.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm

That’s what I just asked my GI nurse and he said he can happen but like you said I haven’t been admitted to a hospital or been on anything.. I’m careful even going to the dr office.. I appreciate your quick response!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 am

There is an intestinal bug going around where I live, but it could also be a food borne pathogen. I got campylobacter from eating undercooked chicken. Are they doing a routine stool culture too to rule out e coli, salmonella, etc? If not, it would be a good idea because the symptoms are just like c difficile.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

I believe so. They didn’t tell me, but it’s 4 tests

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed May 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Just thought I’d update. So when I had c diff the second fine in 2015 I had bad belly pain and didn’t go to the bathroom one day and remember being in so much pain but when I got home from work and was able to go I felt better. I waited a week at that point bc I didn’t think anything of it but I was dx a week later.. we’ll i didnt have a bowel movement yesterday and today it was hard so I wasn’t worried anymore and was thinking of not testing tomorrow since I’ll have to miss out on money since I’m out of sick leave, but now I am bc after the hard one came 2 very intense bouts of diarrhea. I tried eating a small amount at lunch and as the hours went by the more bloated and in pain I have became. So testing tomorrow it is. I’ll let you all know what they say

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 08, 2019 5:13 pm

If you had never had c diff you would assume you had some kind of bug and likely that’s what this is. Your symptoms are really vague and you have had no risk factors and re:exposures and no real c diff symptoms. But test if you feel you must and let us know how you do. I would not expect you to be positive for c diff toxins. You do not have the hallmark persistent watery d.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Yea I do have watery D unfortunately.. 3 times today, pain, cramps, no appetite, and bloated.. but I didn’t have any hallmark symptoms the second time I was dx either and I don’t have a gallbladder so I alway had diarrhea before c diff.. it was my normal so my dr was shocked when I came to him with a bunch of gas and I tested positive for c diff.. but ur right no re exposures but I didn’t the second time either :/

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”