Life after CDiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LT428
New User

Life after CDiff

Postby LT428 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m almost 2 years out since my first diagnosis. Seeing how everyone is living life after cdiff? Though I’m getting better, I can’t help but think of this infection every day. I’m only 34 years old, and I know I can’t stay away from antibiotics for the rest of my life. I have a 5 months old baby and I’m worried the day that she will get prescribed an antibiotic. I can educate myself and others as much as I could, but I can only do so much trying to not get infected or worried about loved ones around me.

Anyone feel the same way?

Firewife
New User

Re: Life after CDiff

Postby Firewife » Sat May 04, 2019 10:12 pm

I’m right there with you! And I’m only a month out from my treatment (taper). I’m having some bad post infection symptoms too which makes it worse. I am 39 and I have a 9 month old (as well as a 2 and 4 year old) and worry about them all the time as well. My doctor prescribed Xanax for my especially “stressful” nights when my worries get the best of me. I hate taking them but it does seem to help. I have read many people even turn to antidepressants to help with the anxiety so who knows, I may end up there! I’m happy you are two years out. I hope you will never have to deal with this horrible infection again. Hang in there. You aren’t alone!

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm

I'm 2.5 years out, my whole family had an endemic outbreak of C. diff (ages 34,31,6,3, 6 months). I worry about our future of course; but there's no other option than one foot in front of the other. None of us have taken antibiotics yet; but given that there are 5 of us it's likely to happen. I just try to take it one day at a time, if it comes back to any of us in the future I will push for Dificid and FMT.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:58 am

Everyone is different. I did relapse after Cipro, but not after doxycycline and Zpak. I tested positive after some cephalosporin that I was given while hospitalized, but did not get an active infection or treat it. My mother, who also had a few bouts of c difficile was able to take various antibiotics and she never relapsed and she was in her late 90s. I try to avoid antibiotics whenever possible. I even had two surgeries where I requested to not have them and the doctors agreed and I had no issues. I think the further you are out from the infection, the less likely you are to relapse.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 pm

It took me about a year and a half out to not think of c.diff daily but now around 2 1/2 years out have to say it's not a constant source of anxiety at this junction. The idea of having to take antibiotics again is scary but the best we can do is be educated and advocate for ourselves if antibiotics are being prescribed when not necessary and try to get targeted/lower risk antibiotics over broad spectrum/higher risk antibiotics when they are needed.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”