Husband had tooth extracted today, advice needed

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amila
Regular User

Husband had tooth extracted today, advice needed

Postby Amila » Fri May 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I had C diff over three years ago after Clindamycin for tooth procedure, and I have been hyper-vigilant when it comes to antibiotics, needless to say. My husband, after several days of bad pain, today had a badly cracked tooth extracted by a dental surgeon. He sent him home with an opioid, steroids and CLINDAMYCIN!!! I think that dentists are the only ones who give this horrible drug out, like candy, No real doctor would do that unless absolutely rast resort or life endangered.

So of course, he is not taking it, but he feels really bad - no pain, but weakness (from hunger and surgery), and severe chills. I just gave him some cold soup and apple sauce, and had him gently rinse the mouth ( wound) with luke warm salt water.He is completely healthy man, in his 50s,I am stressing this to say he is not immunocompromised or anything like that. Does anyone have any additional advice - how to treat the wound in the next 24 hours so it does not get infected, God forbid? Any advice is highly appreciated,

Thank you so much all,

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Husband had tooth extracted today, advice needed

Postby NanciT » Fri May 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Amila

Call the dentist that did the procedure, tell him your concerns. He may have found infection, he is the only one that knows how deep etc. If an antibiotic is required let him know your concerns and your husbands. There are low offenders and your husband has not had CDIFF.

I agree, dentist always seem to write far more RX's, but with extractions and fractured teeth, you need to ask these questions.

Hope he feels better soon

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 am

My husband had a tooth extracted and the dentist cleaned out the infection and gave him a rinse called Peridex to use. He did not need antibiotics. You can ask about that too.

Amila
Regular User

Postby Amila » Sat May 04, 2019 8:09 am

Thank you very much. Since it is Saturday, we cannot ask about Peridex, but I was going to get him OTC dental antiseptic. But, my husband said: The surgeon said no any kind of mouthwash.

I cannot believe it - no mouthwash, but ten days of the worst possible antibiotic on Earth , orally, that is fine. Really, this is scandalous.

I contacted a medical Chat with a doctor site last night, and a dentist said that continually rinsing with warm salt water is enough for a healthy person. Naturally, if he start feeling worse, call the surgeon. But he is already much better this morning.

I cannot wrap my mind around dentists prescribing Clindamycin for everything.

Thank you both again,

Amila

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat May 04, 2019 9:28 am

I wouldn't continue to see a dentist who routinely prescribes clindamycin. I wouldn't trust him to be looking out for my best interest.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Aurora
New User

Postby Aurora » Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 pm

My oral surgeon made me take a dose of IV keflex before I could leave even knowing my situation. He said the surgery went deep into the jaw. I really think he thought what he was having me do was harmless. But here I am, stressing out and tripling up on s boullardii, kefir, and probiotics. I probably will for months on end before backing down again. I thought I was getting symptoms last night, but I think it may have just been my anxiety about this getting the best of me.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat May 04, 2019 4:35 pm

@Aurora, your symptoms may also have been due to what sounds like the massive amount of probiotics you're taking; probiotics themselves cause GI issues for many. People are under the misimpression that probiotics are a proven preventive for C. diff. It's human nature to want to feel like one is "doing something." However, as of yet, there are no evidence-based studies showing whether probiotics are beneficial, if so in what dosages, or even which types. The single exception is Florastor, which has shown some efficacy in hospitalized patients.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”