Now what?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hiflyer
Brand New Poster

Now what?

Postby Hiflyer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi. I am new here. I am a 65 year old retired teacher who first got c diff in the 1990s due to multiple antibiotics for strep infections. Then I had two more bouts with c diff around 2005 and 2007.

Since then I have not used any antibiotics except a short term use of Doxycycline. No more bouts with c diff.

Yesterday I had a root canal for a badly infected tooth. The dentist really wanted me to take antibiotics, but she said only three that were recommended for my infection- Clindamycin, Penicillin and Amoxicillin. We are doing a "wait and see" approach with the antibiotics, but still this worries me so. Did anyone else have to deal with this? Thanks

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Now what?

Postby AllisS » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi, Hiflyer. Welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please take a look at our guidelines for all new posters. It's the first thread on the intro page.

I had a root canal some years back and was given an antibiotic. However, I no longer remember which one it was -- but it was definitely NOT clindamycin. Clindamycin is the top-offending antibiotic for causing C. diff and should be avoided unless it's absolutely the only option in a life/death situation. It should especially be avoided if recommended preventatively, which is the situation you seem to be in now.

If the dentist thinks that watch-and-wait is OK, I'd continue to go with it. If infection starts to worsen or progress, you might consider one of the two remaining antibiotic options.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 am

I agree with Allison. Avoid clindamycin if you have other options.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 01, 2019 2:43 am

Check the CDI section of this site for the antibiotic information on which are the worst, middle and least offending antibiotics for c diff and discuss with your dentist.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 am

The point of a root canal is to remove the cause of infection and clean out any gunk.
That's done!
I have had several and never needed an antibiotic.
If you do develop an infection (soreness is probably not infection) then you might ask if flagyl would deal with it (used by dentists in UK).
Even flagyl can cause c.diff so make sure its needed and not "just in case".

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 01, 2019 4:41 am

If it's REALLY necessary , i would chose the Penicillin , is not as dangerous as those other two are.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 am

My dentist is quick to prescribe antibiotics but my endodontist does not. As Roy says, he tells me he can clean out the infection with the root canal and only needs to prescribe antibiotics if the soft tissue is involved. That has not happened in my very many root canals. I always wait on filling the antibiotics and get into my endodontist immediately for that reason.

Hiflyer
Brand New Poster

Postby Hiflyer » Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks. This is very helpful information for me. So far, just jaw swelling but no signs of infection.

I just wanted to add that I am proof that a person can have three bouts of C Diff ( and all 3 had reoccurances) in their life and then go for more than ten years and be completely fine. I hope this gives others hope.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”