Anti depressants

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jolene33
New User

Anti depressants

Postby Jolene33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Hello everyone I’m 2 days into starting lexapro for my anxiety and depression I have developed through this whole journey. I’m almost 5 months into recovery and I’m having watery D today. I’m assuming it’s from the meds. Has anyone else experienced this with there antidepressants?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anti depressants

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Antidepressants do sometimes cause GI symptoms. For many people, these will subside as their bodies become acclimated to the medication. For others, symptoms may continue, in which case discontinuing the medication and substituting another one would make sense.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Yes, I was on Lexapro for a few weeks and I had lots of D in the beginning. I took some Pepto Some of those days and still had D from the Lexapro. But I didn’t realize until later that when you take Pepto it can turn you stools black which totally caused paranoia in him. That’s what cdiff D look like to me. I calmed down and looked it up and sure enough it was the Pepto. But I still was not convinced so I was retested for cdiff and came back negative. In hind sight I would not have gotten tested if I knew what I know today.

Anyways, it went away after the 3rd or 4th day.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the response! Are you still taking lexapro? I’m keeping my fingers crossed these icky side effects subside soon!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Talk to your dr about this. You have to decide if waiting out the side effects outweigh the potential good you might get from the medication.

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 pm

No, I quit after I started to get ringing in the ears. But again in hind sight I should have stayed on it. I would have saved myself from a Month of anxiety attacks and a couple days in hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Month later I started on Zoloft and have been on that for 6 weeks. Most of the side effects have gone but still have some tummy issues but not sure that relates to Zoloft or PI-IBS. There is a real connection between the gut and brain. That’s why they call the gut the Second Brain.

D and stomach issues are common side effects of most antidepressants. You will have to decide whether the side effects outweigh the Longterm benefits of the drug. My doctor sees me every 3 weeks to see how the drug is working. When I complain about the side effects he keeps telling me to stick with it. Look online and read about the side effects it will explain the common ones and the ones that you need call the doctor immediately. Stay in constant contact with your dr. I message mine all the time.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Glad your Zoloft is working. Yes the brain and gut connection is real! I started getting anxiety attacks in March after getting off busprione. I thought I was ok and didn’t need meds. Then the insomnia, crying a lot, chest pains, and all that fun stuff started. I tried really hard to manage it and not take meds. I was good for about 2 weeks with just mild chest pains here and there and then it hit me again hard this week! I’ve tried melatonin for sleep and it will work sometimes but the anxiety got way to out of control so I saw a family dr and she decided lexapro would be best as it has the least gi effects but I’m going to give it more
time and see if things improve in that department. My stomach is still off as well 5 months out.

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:47 pm

Hopefully you tapered off of Buspar. Going cold turkey can lead you to all kinds of withdrawal symptoms. Some you have already mentioned. Some can last a couple of months.

I went cold turkey with Lexapro but I was only taking it for 6 days. But that is me I would not recommend going cold turkey now. If you ever want to get off of the drug consult with you doctor to get a tapering plan.

Anyways, it keeps crossing my mind that I would like to stop taking Zoloft but not right now. I am on the lowest therapeutic doage of 50mg but I still am dealing with PI-IBS so I know I should stay on it. Not only for me but for my wife’s sake. As a result of my cdiff and post-cdiff stuff my wife had to go on high blood pressure medicine. This just doesn’t effect me but loved ones around me.

Just remember there are many options if Lexapro doesn’t work for you. But again work with your doctor. :-)

Did the doctor give you something for sleep? I take a very low dose of Trazodone which is another antidepressant with sedating properties that taken at very low dosage helps with sleep.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:06 pm

I did quite the buisprone cold turkey! I was on it for about 3 weeks or so and then stopped. Probably wasn’t a smart move on my part I saw my dr a week after I quite and she then put me on Ativan and it helped a little but I was still feeling very panicked and feared the night that I wouldn’t be able to sleep cause of the anxiety keeping me up. They say busproine is one you don’t have to taper but I don’t believe that! Yes this does affect our loved ones. My husband and family are great but they all want me better so I’m going to stick with the lexapro for awhile until I’m ready to get off. I’m on 10mg and fingers crossed all goes well with it! If the Zoloft is working for you and you feel good just enjoy it for now!

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 am

I can’t handle these side effects. I barely slept last night. I feel so out of it and restless. Talking to my doctor today about it. Ugh this shit is awful

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 pm

So sorry you are going thru that. Unfortunately it takes awhile before Lexapro or other SSRI's to kick in.

Hopefully your doctor was able to help you.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Yes we are reducing my dose to 5mg and taking it in the morning! Hope this helps with the side effects.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am

GI symptoms are common with anti-depressants but usually subside in a few days to a week.

Glad they advised you to take in the morning as that is usually the recommended time and would also encourage you to take it after you have something in your stomach as that can also help lessen the GI impact.

Jolene33
New User

Postby Jolene33 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm

Saw my doctor today we both decided this isn’t a good med for me. I feel like I’m on meth. Not a fun experience.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”