Tums

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jolene33
New User

Tums

Postby Jolene33 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Are tums safe?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tums

Postby AllisS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:08 pm

As with any drug, whether prescription or OTC, there can be side-effects, including GI symptoms, though not everyone will have side-effects. Also as with any drug, long-term vs. short-term use can increase the likelihood of problems. As long as you take Tums in moderation -- e.g., only as needed -- you're probably OK. You should always mention OTC drugs you're taking to your doctors.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:40 am

Tums should actually help bulk up your stool. As Aliss said , everything should be taken in moderation.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 am

There was a report actually that said that calcium was implicated with c difficile.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318375.php

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Oh boy, I have been taking an organic Tums like product called Stomach Comforts that has calcium in for about 2 weeks. All in all it’s been about one per day 550mg. Now I have to worry about this. Geez ☹️

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 am

Though I can't comment knowledgeably on a possible link between calcium and C. difficile, I don't think a couple of weeks of a Tums-like product containing calcium would predispose you to C. diff. As with most drugs, whether prescription or OTC, it's regular, long-term use that poses whatever risks there might be. Two weeks isn't long-term. Long-term would be months-to-years.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:08 am

Also, the amount that you took is a low dose.

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 am

Thank you all very much. I feel better... :-)

While my body is trying to adjust to the antidepressant the Stomach Comforts help to get thru the night if it flares up. I will try to limit its use though to just one when needed. If this continues for another couple of weeks I will either have to switch to another antidepressant or just taper off all together. Thanks again you guys are great!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”