Doxycycline

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
foots
Regular Contributor

Doxycycline

Postby foots » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Well, after 3 yrs of being free of c-diff, I ended up needing to take doxycycline. Waited 2 weeks but finally had to, so started it today. Can’t help but worry abt what is going to happen (besides the heartburn it is causing)....

DianaLyn
New User

Re: Doxycycline

Postby DianaLyn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:22 pm

I've been on Doxy many times since Cdiff. It's highly unlikely to affect you but be sure to take florastor and a probiotic an hour after your pills. And kefir is your friend but also 2 hours before doxy or one hour after.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Florastor IS a probiotic, DianaLyn. I'm not sure about the dosing schedule you recommend. Best that the poster check with her/his GI doctor. And BTW, evidence-based studies showing benefits of probiotics are lacking; the benefits, so far, are mainly speculative. There's some evidence that florastor prevents recurrence in hospitalized patients, but that's about it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:15 am

My mother was on doxy for a month after she had c difficile, although it was also a few years later. She never relapsed. I have taken it too without a relapse.

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks all. My stomach is strangely calm on day 3. Divine intervention!! :)

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Ok, now 6 days later, I have stomach cramps & a fever. Pls not again...if it doesn’t resolve after stopping abx, got to go to dr & get tested...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”