Has anyone taken Amoxicillin and not gotten CDiff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
DianaLyn
New User

Has anyone taken Amoxicillin and not gotten CDiff?

Postby DianaLyn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:01 am

Dear friends,

I am the patient of Dr Kelly whose recommendations you posted 3 years ago. I am SO much better thanks to Kefir and probiotics. You can heal from Cdiff. Life does get better and sleep and joy do return. lIt just takes time.

But now I need your help and encouragement. I have a gum infection that spread to my ear. Doctor says Amoxicillin. I'm asked for doxy instead and praying it will work but have Amox on hand if it does not.

Has anyone had Amoxicillin and NOT had Cdif return?

I know I'll take florastor, Culturelle and kefir every 2 hours. Being immune compromised means I've had to go on low and medium level antibiotics (Zithromax, Bactrim) but never this before. I will for sure use Peridex weekly from now on.

Thank you.

DianaLyn

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Has anyone taken Amoxicillin and not gotten CDiff?

Postby NanciT » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:15 pm

I am not sure we have that answer. As you know some antibiotics carry more risk than others. I did take Keflex for a UTI when I was months post CDIFF. I did fine and it is a big offender. But we have had other posters who have taken various antibiotics and it has returned.

If an antibiotic is necessary, talk with your GI and see what they advise. I think this is a terrible part of recovery we all live with, hopefully someday we won't have to worry about this.

Sorry I could not help more!!

NanciT

DianaLyn
New User

Re: Has anyone taken Amoxicillin and not gotten CDiff?

Postby DianaLyn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you for replying. It's so very scary to battle infections as you understand. You've given me hope!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”