Questran - question for OG team

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
OCmama
Regular Contributor

Questran - question for OG team

Postby OCmama » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi All,

Hope you have been well and C. Diff free!

So, I had been without symptoms and negative test results for 2 and a half years (we are the family of 5 who all got C. diff for half a year). Then the kids got a tummy bug about 4 weeks ago, I picked up a mild version of it; I thought I would pass. And it hasn't. It's been 4 weeks, it's progressed into mucus, some bouts of liquid D, pieces of tissue and some days going upwards of 10 times per day. The flank pain is back, the deep stomach pain, and I am unable to eat anything.

I submitted a test yesterday, it should be in tomorrow.

In the mean time, I had my GP call in questran (binding agent for toxins, I have not taken it before). I noticed it is questran lite with Nutrasweet, that worries me with all the stuff on trehalose. Should I call for a non lite version? What are your thoughts on taking it in general.

Also, I didn't take any antibiotics, PPIs, steroids etc

Thanks in advance

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Questran - question for OG team

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:11 am

Personally, I do not take any of those lite products. Unless you are diabetic, there should be no reason not to take the regular Questran. Years ago, I got the generic version - not lite - cholestyramine. See how your test results come back. Did the doctor do a regular stool culture? Maybe you have a different bug. I had campylobacter after c difficile and symptoms were the same. If your test is negative and you still have symptoms, I would ask for a culture.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 am

I am going to call tomorrow for regular questran, thank you :-)

Dr ordered regular stool culture for all the bugs, I'm REALLY hoping it's something else. It's pretty bad though, something is very wrong; as you all know it's pretty rough to get through the day going over 10+ times per day with little kids. I'm using a dedicated bathroom, washing hands thoroughly and bleaching, but I am absolutely terrified for any of them get this monster again. I can deal with me having it (I think) but not them. It would be so strange for it to come back after all this time by itself, I had finally gotten to my new normal and was feeling pretty great. Thanks for listening and for all of your help over the years.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:51 am

It would be extremely unusual....and of course would be a new infection but from what???
I also took the generic, cholestyramine.
Here’s hoping for a bug!

Rita

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:19 pm

I hope it all ends well for you!! I just wanted to say I take colestipol (the pill form) is if that could be an option for you.

Thinking about you!

Susan

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 pm

No C. diff!!! I am so relieved, the rest of the tests aren't back, but for now I'm just super happy! I still feel sick, but so glad it isn't the diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 am

Glad to hear it is not c difficile. Did they also test for parasites?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Yes, tested for parasites but won't hear back until Monday :-/

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 pm

So glad it's negative!! Did you happen to buy any pre-cut fruit at a grocery store recently? A friend of mine got Salmonella from that recently but is now doing well. Regardless, hope you feel better!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Are you any better? Did you get it resolved?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 am

Hi!! I tested negative for everything thank God. But I did have D for over a month; PCP said it must have been a virus. Some version of this seems to happen now when I get sick, it's unpleasant and scary, but I guess it's my new normal. But the good news is I'm almost back to where I was, I hope you are doing well!!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Great news!! Doing well so far.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat May 04, 2019 3:30 pm

I am the same way. In fact the kids just had a one day diarrhea episode with a stomachache.. and here I am 6 days later still feeling bad. I have taken questran now for 3 1/2 years! For the most part it has been the best thing to happen to me since my gallbladder was out in 2004!
Glad it’s not back! You have no idea how many times I’ve thought it was back .. including this week.. but trying to be logical n not freak out .. but yes it’s a great binder. My dr thinks bc I don’t have a gallbladder and after c diff I was left with bile salt malabsorption and that is why the medicine works!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”