Cdiff and family members

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Spring
New User

Cdiff and family members

Postby Spring » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi,
I was diagnosed with CD Feb 17th. I had a tooth infection which turned into a dry socket after tooth was pulled. I was on Clindamycin then Cephalexin. I was given Vanco for 14 days. I haven’t had a relapse yet (praying that doesn’t happen). I still feel extremely weak and tired but some days are better than others. I have little pains in stomach and back but hoping it goes away in time.
My husband has been struggling with diarrhea on and off since January or February. He was tested when I was and it came back negative. He is having another bout these last couple of days. I don’t know if he should be tested again. If he does have it, his body seems to fight it off then it comes back periodically. Is that possible?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff and family members

Postby georgina » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:35 am

Did your husband had to take antibiotics as well recently?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 am

Hi Spring and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

It is possible that your husband has c diff or another infection. I would ask the doctor to test with a regular culture for other pathogens, even parasites, as well as for c difficile if his symptoms keep up. There are other infections one can get from contaminated food, water, etc.

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:33 am

No, he has not been on any antibiotics and doesn’t usually get sick. In fact, he doesn’t even have a doctor. He got tested in the ER when he took me in for IV fluids.
And, that’s a good idea to have him tested for other pathogens.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:43 am

i was diagnosed in March after taking an antibiotic but was not aware what c diff even was, so I pretty much contaminated my own house not knowing any better. My son who’s in college was home for a week during, and had taken augmentin and Flagyl after a root canal around 40 days before. He called a week ago and said he had thrown up and had diahrrea for a couple days. I immediately lost my mind and went to the darkest place imaginable, feeling like I had infected him. Long story short, he bagan taking the align that I had sent him after I found out what happened to me and he was fine the next day. Granted he’s 19 and a college athlete with a great immune system which apparently fought it off. Don’t lose your mind like I did. My situation was a perfect storm from being in hospitals and nursing homes for years, as well as constant air travel and burning the candle at both ends. The antibiotic I took ten days prior was the spark that lit the poop bomb.

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Thank you for sharing this about your son. It does ease my mind. He is actually feeling a little better today (of course he’s trying to eat better too). :) He doesn’t have straight diarrhea all the time so that makes me feel less anxious.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:40 am

D1dad your son may have had a virus. Vomiting is not a common symptom with c diff, although it can happen. Hopefully his immune system fought off whatever it was.

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:26 am

I’m so anxious today. My husband’s diarrhea went away but now my son has diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. I have been so careful about disinfecting and hand washing. My daughter also lives with us and is getting married in May. Any advice?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am

Diarrhea alone isn't suggestive of C. diff unless it persists. A good rule of thumb is if there is watery diarrhea at least three times per day for more than three days. Otherwise it's likely to be due to some other cause and to be transient. Given your diligence with handwashing and disinfecting (though at least some of the latter is likely unnecessary), the chances of your transmitting C. diff to others in the household is almost zero.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am

Thank you for your reply AllisS. That calms me. I am so worked up I feel like I could have diarrhea again. I would feel so terrible if I gave this to my whole family.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

It is unusual to give C diff to one family member and very unlikely for it to be more than one. However, a virus can go through an entire family. Maybe your husband had some kind of bug and now your son has it. The fact that your husband got better is a good sign that it was probably not c difficile.

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Thank you for your reply, Beth. It is encouraging.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:05 am

Many people on here have families. Most of us had c diff for a while before being diagnosed and during that time we probably weren't taking many precautions. I have not come across any stories here where one family member passed C. diff to another. In my case, I have a wife and toddler at home. I was terrified that I was going to spread it to them (especially scared that my toddler would get it). I had C. Diff for over a week before it was diagnosed. That was 4 months ago and nobody in my family was infected by C. Diff (knock on wood.)

We hear how contagious C. Diff is and difficult it is to kill the spores, and it terrifies us. But I believe that it's difficult to develop a C. Diff infection if you have a healthy immune system. Most of us on here developed the infection after taking an antibiotic which wiped out our gut flora and allowed C. Diff to take over.

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Thank you, LHutz, for your reply. It has been so helpful and reassuring to read all of your posts. My son’s diarrhea has subsided. My mind unfortunately automatically thinks the worst at times like this.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Female age 60
I have a similar question. I am Off vanco three weeks now and went to our vacation home with my Husband last week. The week before that I had constipation for two days followed by one bout of diarrhea. Went straight to the doctor the next day and we discussed possible PI IBS; however she did prescribe a vanco taper dose to take with me on vacation if I were to have more diarrhea. I did not start it, as i started having normal
BM again. I actually was constipated again for three days. Yesterday my daughter, her husband and their three year old son came to visit us. That very morning I had another bout of diarrhea, however this time it was watery and accompanied by mucus and cramps. Anyhow, just like before I had been constilated for three days prior to this episode so I’m thinking Maybe it’s IBS. I told my daughter about it and they decided to stay because we’re thinkjng IBS and they had traveled for vacation. Later in the day I had the diarrhea three more times. Not watery nor much volume but definitely diarrhea. The next morning I also had diarrhea, Although the volume is not much but then I wasn’t eating much either. My husband and I decided to go home and let them continue their vacation at the house. I have had more diarrhea but still not a lot of volume. My question is, could my daughter and especially her theee year old get c diff from being in the house. I was careful not to touch them, really hard not to hug that sweet baby boy but I was being careful. I am very careful In the bathroom with cleaning, washing hands with warm soap and water 30 second rule. They did not enter my bathroom or bedroom. They have only been in common areas of house which I did clean before their arrival but not with Clorox. I’m just sick with worry they might get it from being in the house. I didnt mean to take over this post with my Problem but I’ve tried to make my own private post twice and can’t get it to post. I’m tech challenged. Any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”