Cdiff and family members

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff and family members

Postby AllisS » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Fish1, the chances of your relatives contracting C. diff (if that's even what was causing your diarrhea) just by being in the same house as you are almost infinitesimal. C. diff infection isn't airborne, and it isn't transmitted simply by touching someone. If it were, millions of people would be coming down with it each day. Hope that reassures you somewhat.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:31 am

The route of contact is fecal to oral. If they did not use your bathroom, the odds of it are very slim and even if they did, they are slim. My husband used my bathroom the whole time I had c difficile and with all my relapses and never got it. I would not worry. If your D continues, I would have a test for c diff before starting vanco. Overtreating is not good either and can contribute to relapses. Make sure you have it first.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:23 am

Thank you so much for responding. The reassurance you’ve given me is tremendous. This condition creates such anxiety. I can handle what is happening to me, but like so many others I obsess about giving it to my loved ones. I’ve had Graves’ disease which resulted in radioactive iodine treatment to kill my thyroid and gallbladder stones which ended with removal. None of these diseases have caused me near the anxiety I have had with this and it’s mostly worrying about infecting others. I literally have scrubbed my hands up to my elbows raw. This board has been a soothing balm to my nerves.
My PCP is treating me for the CDI. I was aware that Clandimycin could cause c diff as I had a relative who got it after taking the same drug. I was prescribed the drug after an abscessed tooth quickly resulted in facial cellulitis. The abscess started going into my sinuses and my dentist scared me enough to make me take it against my better judgement. Within three weeks of completing two weeks of 1200mg a day followed by one week of 1500 mg amoxiclian a day, prescribed by my endodondist I saw my first signs of c diff. Yucky blood stained diarrhea. I immediately called my PCP and she saw me and started me first on Flagyl, on which I had horrible side effects and stopped after four days then she switched me to Vancomycin for ten days, and I tolerated that well despite extreme dry mouth. I was eating again, I’ve lost a total of 27 pounds thus far in this ordeal and counting. I had started adding in antibotic free eggs, chicken and turkey along with the few veggies I’ve been able to eat. I eat yogurt, drink keifer and take florstar once a day. I did this regimen while on the Clandimycin and amoxicillin as well, but still got the c diff. Anyway, while On vanco, I had higher energy levels and my stools began to shape up and become semi normal even resulting in constipation as I described above, which was my old normal, again I was thinking you got this. You’re gonna be one of the lucky ones. When bam!!! I had my first signs of diarrhea again. That’s when I went back to doctor and she went ahead with Vanco taper prescription. I Held off because symptoms went away and again I thought lucky you. NOT!!! Came back worse a week later, I have held off on starting vanco taper waiting for the three day three times rule and today Is day three and the symtons continue. I haven’t tested again because it’s only been about seven weeks since my initial diagnosis and corrext me I if I’m wrong, but won’t I test positive within three months of first symptoms regardless? I’m having pretty bad stomach cramps this morning and more diarrhea, today is day three so I took my first pill before I read this. My PCP said she could go ahead and prescribe difficid or vanco taper. We decided on taper in case it doesn’t work then I have another line of defense with the diffcid. Is this logical, since I’ve read that the more relapses you have the harder to cure? Should
I go straight to the difficid? I do not have a GI as there are few available where I live. Should I go out of town to look for one? If these inquires arenr supposed to be here please feel free to move me or direct me where I’m supposed to be. I appreciate your response to my questions.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”