8 months CDiff free - need laparoscopy, scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sammyp
Contributor

8 months CDiff free - need laparoscopy, scared

Postby sammyp » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of a panic moment. I am about 8 months CDiff free and doing really well except for some PI-IBS issues.

My doc recently discovered that I have a large ovarian cyst and suspects it's an Endo adhesion due to other, long term symptoms I've had. She wants to schedule me to have laparoscopic surgery to remove the cyst and check for Endometriosis. Yeah, I know it sounds like no big deal but it is a huge deal to me. I didn't get CDiff from antibiotic use. I got it from having severe food poisoning and (probably) from visiting the ER one of the two times I needed fluids during that time. So being in a healthcare facility - any healthcare facility - just really sends my anxiety in a whirlwind. And I worry the surgery will lower my immune system enough to let CDiff happen while I'm there getting it done. I know it's probably all very illogical but hey, that's what anxiety is after all.

So, has anyone had a laparoscopic procedure post CDiff? Did you come out of it okay? Can you think of any reason why I'd be at risk of getting another CDiff infection from this procedure?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 months CDiff free - need laparoscopy, scared

Postby Ril » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I had laparoscopic shoulder rotator cuff repair and even had to get 1 Gram of IV antibiotics, which sent me into a tizzy. I took Florastor twice a day for a month before and 2 or 3 months after. I was fine and never had a recurrence. The day surgery area is likely much more sterile and controlled than the general area of the ER. I would do the Florastor as a precaution. It is the 1 probiotic that my GI recommends when we talk about antibiotic use so I would think it can’t hurt to bolster your gut during stress unless you react poorly to it.

Best of luck,
Rita

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”