New Baby after c-diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
TNmom
Brand New Poster

New Baby after c-diff?

Postby TNmom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Hello! First time poster here! I was diagnosed with C-diff last April after taking a round of Kelfex, Cipro, Levaquin and Macrobid (it's another story within itself). My husband and I were hoping to add to one more little one to our family and I had a concern. Maybe someone could answer or know of a solution. We are currently afraid to continue trying because of a thought that occurred to me. In the last trimester of pregnancy, women are tested to see if they carry the Strep-b virus. If it is found. the mandatory protocol is IV antibiotics during labor for the mother, so the baby is not infected. I've always tested negative for this in my other pregnancies, but am worried that "if" I should become infected this pregnancy...I will be forcefully given more heavy antibiotics and become reinfected. I have spoken in depth about this with my OBGYN and she is not concerned and thinks that there's no way that taking antibiotics could "reawaken"an infection. My GI dr said that it IS a definite possibility of reinfection from another antibiotic. I'm very afraid that this "what if" scenario is now going to control the fate of building my family. I know I shouldn't let the fear of c-diff ruin my life, but I feel like it's a legitimate concern. Any other parents here that have had a successful pregnancy/delivery after c-diff? Did anyone have the IV antibiotics? Thanks for reading friends. Sorry we've all had to go through this life changing, highly preventable nightmare.

LT428
New User

Re: New Baby after c-diff?

Postby LT428 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi TNmom,

I recently gave birth to a beautiful, healthy girl in December. This is a year in a half after my first diagnosis with cdiff. I had the fear of Strep B positive. I asked my OBGYN the options and same as your OB, she wasn’t worried either. I made sure I drank kefir and increased my probiotics 2 weeks prior to the test. Luckily, I tested negative. I verbalized to my OB that absolutely no antibiotics unless necessary. I labored as much as possible at home. I work in the healthcare industry, I see doctors push c-section like crazy. But that’s just me.

My entire pregnancy went well with no problems and same as the birth. Let me know if you have any questions!

TNmom
Brand New Poster

Postby TNmom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Thank goodness someone responded!!! I currently take 50 billion count probiotics, unfortunately Kefir is something I wouldn't be able to take because I'm deathly lactose intolerant. I do natural labor normally, but I understand sometimes a c-section is needed in extreme cases. I prefer the unmedicated way. The one time I ever had antibiotics I acquired c-diff. UGHHH. It's been almost a year since my infection, but I'm terrified that this time around I may be strep positive and need the antibiotics. I almost died with C-diff last time. I can' imagine going through it again with a new baby. My midwife and ob said some women do herbal remedies, but they rarely work. They also said many women test positive and refuse the antibiotic, but they immediately put it down as negligence. She said it was rare for a baby to acquire an infection from a positive mother that hasn't taken the antibiotic, but that they make it mandatory now as a precaution. This c-diff has really dictated a lot in my life. But we were so ready for another baby. The risk of having to take another antibiotic, I just don't know that I could do that. Not just for me, but for the rest of my family. They need me. lol

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello TNmom and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.

You have a terrible dilemma. It is full of “what if’s “. If you cannot be tested prior to the last trimester, can your GI consult with your OB and come up with a plan “just in case”? I don’t know if a lower risk antibiotic can be used or vanco can also be used prophylactically, etc. It would be a shame to let c diff disrupt your family plans even after you are cured. But I would definitely talk to your GI.

Best of luck.
Rita

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:13 am

I had cdiff for several years off and on and still struggle with symptoms as a result of having it for so long. I had group b strep with my first and know they will give vancomycin as the antibiotic if you ask them. I’m pregnant again and due in July and will ask for vancomycin if I test positive again for it.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 pm

"I know I shouldn't let the fear of c-diff ruin my life, but I feel like it's a legitimate concern."

I disagree. It's not a legitimate concern unless you test positive and your doctor wants to administer the antibiotic. Unless/until that occurs, you're letting c. diff anxiety get the best of you. Every time you go out into public you're at risk of picking up a bacterial infection from somebody who is sick. Every minor cut you suffer has the potential to get infected. Many perfectly health women have issues with recurring UTIs for reasons that are really out of their control. Bacteria is all around us and if we think about the potential harm it can cause us we'll never lead any kind of a normal life.

I got C. diff because of a mosquito bite. I was outside with my son watering our garden. A mosquito bit me. I had a very bad allergic reaction to it that turned into an open wound which got very badly infected and I had to take clindamycin, which caused a c. diff infection. I still play outside with my son, but I wear pants and a light sweater to avoid mosquito bites.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”