Relapse after 1 year?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LT428
New User

Relapse after 1 year?

Postby LT428 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 am

Hello everyone,

I’m going to call my doctor in the morning, but just seeing if anyone went through the same issue. My last vanco treatment was November 2017 and test negative twice. Ever since then, I’ve had a lot of issues with my stomach. That’s another story. It all started on Sunday with a sore throat. Feeling achy and tired on Monday then in the evening, the WD started. Since midnight, I’ve been going every hour (3x now) with WD. My highest fever was 102, although I don’t feel like it’s a fever. My stomach has been rumbling and making weird noises. No recent antibiotics use. I gave birth 3 months ago and work in a healthcare facility. Could this be a reinfection or maybe the flu? The sore throat went away. So far no mucus or blood. I don’t really know what’s normal stool smell anymore. I can’t even tell you. It does have a smell (sorry, TMI), but I don’t find it too disturbing. For sure WD. No pain when going, only gassy and it all comes out. I guess it’s day 1 of 3 for the rule. I’m so depressed if it is cdiff again as I have newborn to take of. Anyone experience the same issue with flu-like symptoms?

Thank you for your input!

-LT428

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse after 1 year?

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 am

It sounds more like you have caught a virus. Cdiff doesn't start with sore throat , it starts with abdominal pain and then comes the D. However you should stay well hydrated and if the D doesn't subside you need to see the doctor.

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:05 am

Hi Georgina,

Thank you for your reply. Could it be that my immune system was down from getting sick...leaving cdiff spores to strive? I’m going to call my GI when the office opens.

-LT428

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Would like to point out that after a year this would not be a relapse but a reinfection. Just making sure any newcomers who are reading have the right info.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Totally agree with Georgina. It has only been a day so don’t panic. Not all d is c diff although our minds go there. Your symptoms don’t match up. I would wait but that’s up to you.
Let us know how you do.

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply! My symptoms got worse today. Going about every 30 mins to 1 hr with straight WD! I was able to get an appointment with my GI doctor right away. He thinks it’s viral, but I got a stool kit and submitted it right away. He told me cdiff can occur at anytime. My fever subsided. Can’t seem to eat anything as it all goes straight through. Upper-epigastric pain. No urges to go. Stomach starts to rumble, gassy, and then the WD happens.

I’ve been balling my eyes out today. I will keep everyone posted.

-LT428

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 am

I constantly see posters saying “it’s not this symptom” or that one but I gotta disagree. My GP isn’t a c diff expert per say but he has been the chief physician for a retirement home for many many years so he’s become one out of necessity. I had issues leading up to the diagnosis that many here would exclude, sore throat included. Now maybe my immune system being in a constant battle was a contributing factor, but none the less these issues all added up. If it was just as easy as diarrhea 3 times for 3 days that’d be one thing but my pcp guaranteed that isn’t always the case. I had D for 8 days before I ever experienced the smell that’s associated with it. You know your body and mine was telling me something wasn’t right and after a week I finally listened to it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 am

"The chief physician for a retirement home for many many years so he’s become one out of necessity."
I would have grave concerns about a GP that repeatedly gains experiance of c.diff in that manner!
C.diff is 99% preventable, its caused by over prescribing antibiotics!
The cleanliness and infection control in the care home is secondary to antibiotic prescription in causing c.diff.
A GP who is proud of TREATING elderly and already sick patients for C.diff and has seemingly little knowlage of the biology of the disease is not an expert.
On the contrary they should look at why their patients are getting c.diff.
That Drs not the cure, That Dr is part of the cause.
ANY GP who still prescribes Flagyl should not be trusted with anyone life!
At a guess this type of GP is one that will want to go against all the experts advice and test after treatment to see if its gone.
GPs are fine for first occourance if they follow guidlines, after that (and also if they test to prove a cure) some are a downright liability.
The 3x3 guidance is to judge for a relapse after treatment while your body is fighting off remaining spores that vegetate.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 am

As others have mentioned, sounds like you are experiencing a virus over a new occurrence of c.diff (over a year would not be a relapse) and c.diff does not simply "happen anytime" there has to be a trigger which, most commonly, is antibiotic use. If you haven't been on antibiotics or experienced something that may severely dampen your immune system; a new occurrence a year later is slim to none.

I had a similar virus last year and was convinced I had c.diff again as well but test was negative and after 4-5 days, the symptoms resolved without any treatment beyond staying hydrated, resting, and eating bland food. My doctor told me that the damage we incur during c.diff, and treatment, may leave us more prone to stomach viruses going forward. Just another "gift" from c.diff...

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 am

Musings wrote: "My doctor told me that the damage we incur during c.diff, and treatment, may leave us more prone to stomach viruses going forward."

I've not heard this before and suspect it has no factual basis. Perhaps he was thinking of the possible "co-infection" phenomenon: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4934455/
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:33 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update. Only one episode of WD all day yesterday. I was relieved. However, 9pm hits and I started going practically every 30 mins to an hour with WD again. Have not slept all night. No fever, B, or M. Stomach is going crazy with noises. I don’t want to jump into any conclusions, but I think it’s defintely back. WD has absolutely no smell. Basically, if I eat or drink anything, it goes right through. With so many WD, is there a possibility can cdiff strive b/c I’m once again loosing all of my good bacteria? If it continues like this for the next few hours, I’m going to check into an ER before dehydration starts. Besides the WD and stomach growling, I feel okay. I’m still waiting on my stool results. Will be surprised if it’s negative. This is worse than when I was actually diagnosed with Cdiff.

At this point, should I have my GI call in a Vanco prescription for me?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

Do you know when you will have your stool results? I would not start vanco without the results since you technically have no risk factors such as antibiotic use.

LT428
New User

Postby LT428 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:02 pm

I just want to make an update. My result came back negative. It ended up being the rotavirus. Personally, the trips to the bathroom with this virus was more than when I had cdiff.

Cdiff is such a bizarre disease. It’s not black or white. No symptoms are the same. One thing may work for one may not work for another. I’m glad I waited for the result rather than treating it right away. Thank you everyone. For those that are currently suffering, hang in there. I’m still dealing with a lot of stomach issues and anxiety post cdiff, but a lot better than a year ago.

Take care!

-LT428

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Great news. And that is why despite anxiety you don’t treat on assumptions that really don’t make sense, despite what assumptions non-experts make. There are protocols for a reason.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”