SEEKING ADVICE on POSSIBLE RELAPSE

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Steve59
New User

SEEKING ADVICE on POSSIBLE RELAPSE

Postby Steve59 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi all,
This is my first post and I want express my gratitude to all for being here!
I’m 59 and got CDiff in late February after taking Augmentin for a sinus infection. I finished 10 days of Flagyl on March 10th. My stools were quite normal at the end of the 10 days,and the intermittent cramping still continues, but it is mild.
I’m taking Florastor and another probiotic.

However....last night, this morning, and this afternoon I had loose stools(basically diarrhea). I’m scared and confused.
I’m concerned about running back to my GI if there’s a chance I can get through it. But I also don’t want to make things worse by waiting.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel so alone and nobody seems to get it, not even my family.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: SEEKING ADVICE on POSSIBLE RELAPSE

Postby AllisS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Steve 59, welcome to the site. Please read our guidelines for all new posters, which you can find in the first thread of the Intro page.

The general rule of thumb for concern about possible C. diff is if you have at least three consecutive days of diarrhea at least three times/day. Loose stools don't necessarily equate to diarrhea. I would wait another couple of days to see if the pattern persists or not.

As for probiotics, be aware that they can cause GI symptoms. People tend to think that the more they take the better, but this isn't the case. You may want to experiment with cutting out one of them and/or decreasing your dose, to see if that helps.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Thank you Allis! I’m going to cut the probiotics for a few days to see what happens. I appreciate your response.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am

Probiotics upset my GI tract quite a bit after I stopped medication. I was on vancomycin and while on it, could tolerate the probiotic pretty well. Perhaps this is because most of it was probably killed by the medication. But, afterwards, I had a hard time and had to try several brands before I found one that I tolerated and even then, I only took a small amount out of the capsule and put it in applesauce. I figured since I could not tolerate yogurt any longer, this was at least giving me some beneficial bacteria. See what happens when you stop them.

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Thank you Beth! I’m hoping it is the probiotics and not a failed course of Flagyl. I have now learned that according to many, Flagyl was not the best choice.
Time will tell, thanks for your input and I wish you well!

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 pm

So now another week has gone by, I tested negative on March 20, 10 days after finishing Flagyl. It was probably too soon,right?
So I’m still wondering if I’m beginning to relapse. I have a constant urge to have a BM. I now feel constipated with rectal pressure and only small, broken up, pale color feces are released when I try to go.
As the day progresses BM is less formed. I feel all clogged up. Since I really don’t have D Is this more likely to be part of recovery? I’m thinking of taking Colace tonight. I haven’t had a close to normal BM since days 7-10 on Flagyl.
Any advice or opinions? Thanks so much!

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Steve,

It sounds like you're suffering from post-infection issues that many people suffer from after C diff. I finished my round of Vanco 3 months ago and I have been suffering from many of the same issues that you have been suffering from (i.e. the constant urge to make a BM with pressure and bouts of constipation). Unless you have frequent diarrhea, it is likely not a relapse.

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Thank you so much for your response. I sure hope that’s the case. I’m trying not to obsess over it but when I see that pale color of the stools it concerns me.
I wish you good health!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm

First, you should not test for cure. If you read on this site you will find that stressed. After your initial bout of c diff it is advised that your dr treats or doesn’t retreat based on symptoms alone. Significant watery d for usually 3 days is what qualifies as a sign that c diff has recurred. And yes, Flagyl is no longer indicated by the CDC as a drug for treating c diff but some drs still prescribe it.
What you describe sounds like post infectious IBS, something many of us suffer with us after c diff. It is uncomfortable and lasts different amounts of time with different severity for everyone. There is a lot of information about it on the site. Eat bland and keep an eye on things for now and try not to worry unless things change for the worse. Stool color doesn’t matter unless it is balck or red. After c diff your stool may be a “ new normal” for a very long time. Your gut is healing. Don’t worry. It happens to us all!

Rita

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 am

Thank you so much Rita for making it clear on what to look for with stool color. I will certainly follow your advice and as a rookie Im beginning to realize things are just going to be different. As you said, a new normal that we just have to live with. I’m grateful for your informative response. Thanks again!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Steve, your case is eerily similar to mine. Dates, sinus infection with augmentin, all of it. I too took Flagyl for 10 days, but unfortunately the D returned within 72 hrs and was given another 7 days which I finished yesterday. It sounds like you have what I have...tenesmus. I have a semi normal BM in the morning and then my inflamed whatever makes me feel like I have to go more and that there’s a blockage. I’ve been practicing resting the urge and after an hour or so it goes away. Here’s to getting better! I’ve been taking calcium supplements and eating plain oatmeal, you know the kind that tastes like ground up cardboard, yep that nasty stuff. All in all it seems to firm things up. I also ordered pro50 probiotics and nexabiotic which is basically Florastor at the advice of my ID doc. They seem very powerful but not in a intolerable way.

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:14 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’ve learned that as soon as I think I can loosen up on my strictly bland diet, tenesmus returns and the MBs aren’t as well formed.
Yes, Oatmeal is what works for me too. It’s so boring but it works. And I’ve continued on Florastor, 250mg twice a day. I also mix in a few other probiotics here and there, I’m not sure if they help.
I’m 22 days post Flagyl and feel like this is going to be a slow recovery. But I’m also grateful that O have not had a relapse yet, as I have had D.
I truly wish you the best and hope you’re recovery is swift and that you get well soon.
I’m ok, I try to be positive and never loose hope of moving forward to better days. I just know I have to be patient.
Be well, Steve.

Steve59
New User

Postby Steve59 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am

Correction... meant to say I have NOT had D.
Thanks.

rmm26
New User

Postby rmm26 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi Steve-
Hope you are feeling better as it's been a while since you posted on this thread. I am currently having similar pale colored, broken up stools that sometimes float. I'm about 13 days post Vanco. I was curious how the rest of this year went for you? Not sure if you will see this but figured I'd give it a shot.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 am

If your sill around Steve then here we are, all these months later. What I thought was gonna kill me hasn’t and the sun came up again today. For those who have recently been diagnosed, please stay positive and you will get through this.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”