I think it’s coming back :(

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mathewb
New User

Re: I think it’s coming back :(

Postby mathewb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks Roy! I kept thinking it was an PI-IBS flare up or something. But who knows. My stomach is definitely still not back to normal, but no D as of now. Hopefully it stays this way!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:53 pm

What type of test did you have that was positive? If it was only PCR, then you should ask about confirming an active infection with EIA testing. I tested positive for c diff after a hospital stay for 2.5 years, but my EIA was negative, meaning it was not an active infection. For the most part I was C, but would have days with flares and GI symptoms. I did not treat. Only took Pepto as needed. The hospital lab now sends all positive PCR tests for EIA and if that is negative, they classify it as a negative result. Don't overtreat. I have a bottle of Dificid here in case need arises and I take it with me when I travel. I hope I never need it. The expiration date is usually a couple of years down the road, so wait til you talk to the ID.

mathewb
New User

Postby mathewb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks Beth! That’s actually a very important point I forgot to mention. My family doc and GI doc told me the test they did was checking for active infection. When I showed my friend that’s an ID doc the test results, all 3 were PCR. That’s also why he said he wouldn’t treat if there were no true symptoms present. So far, I’m still taking pepto. I went twice yesterday (I’m usually on the C side) however, no D, only soft stool. My friend was a little surprised I’m still going while on pepto, but he also said pepto shouldn’t slow symptoms of a true full c diff infection. I will post once I get back from my ID appt tomorrow.

mathewb
New User

Postby mathewb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 am

Actually, Beth, I believe you went to Hawaii or another trip while you had some symptoms but I think you took pepto? (Sorry if I’m mixing you up with someone else or mixed up the details). Did you go into the pool while on your trip? I obviously wouldn’t go into the pool if I had active symptoms, but just curious as to what I should be cautious of.

mathewb
New User

Postby mathewb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 pm

I just searched "pool" and found a bunch of information on the topic. I should ave done that to begin with!

mathewb
New User

Postby mathewb » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:45 pm

I just wanted to close the loop since I saw my ID doctor. The last test my PCP did test for active toxin, but I was a little confused by the results. It says GDH antigen detected, Toxin A and B not detected, and PCR was positive. My Dr said this doesn't rule out active infection but was happy to see Toxin A and B not detected. Since I am improving with pepto to stick to that for now and if anything gets worse then to contact him and I would try the Dificid after testing. So far, I am still doing better with the pepto. I've been taking a little bit less lately, but sticking to a bland diet. Hopefully I'm ok this time.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”