PLEASE HELP!! mom dying she has cdif scared to see her!!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Silviaxo
Regular User

PLEASE HELP!! mom dying she has cdif scared to see her!!

Postby Silviaxo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm

My mother I's dying she has c dif and I'm scared to see her but I'm so upset I'm letting this fear stop me. I had it but it went away it caused me to have severe contamination ocd which changed my life I ended up in a psychiatric hospital because of it.. now my mom is dying but has cdif I'm so scared idk what to do!!!! What would you do??

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP!! mom dying she has cdif scared to see her!!

Postby AllisS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am

Sorry that you're facing the loss of your mother. Is she conscious and aware of your presence or absence? If she's in a hospital and you decide to go see her, ask in advance about precautions that can be taken to avoid exposing yourself -- you could wear a mask, for instance, and some type of disposable gown and gloves. (I don't know what precautions healthcare providers normally take in these circumstances, but you should be able to avail yourself of similar measures.) If you feel that a visit would be a major setback to your mental health, you may want to forego the visit. Hopefully, there are other family who could visit her during this time.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 am

Standard protocol is all visitors of a c.diff patient wear gloves and apron, add a mask if it makes you feel better.
These should all be outside the door of her room, if not just ask for them.
Hand washing facilities will be in the room and that's all that's needed to stop c.diff spreading.
Drs, nurses and hospital cleaners dont catch c.diff but are in closer contact with your mom than you will be.
Go and visit, you will be sorry if you do not.

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am

Roy has said it perfectly.
Nothing could stop me from saying my final goodbye to my loved one, especially mother.
If you're scared, wear the protective gear as Roy advised.
But remember the nurses have a much greater chance of exposure than you, and they still do their job and are healthy, so don't let your paranoia take over at this important time.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm

I actually agree with Roy and Medena. If you don't go and see your mother I think you'll have a hard time living with that decision after she's gone.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I assume you understand that c diff is spread from feces/touch to mouth. Going into the room will not cause you to catch it. If you are that scared, and apparently you are, just wear a gown and gloves, don’t touch anything and wash your hands when you leave the room and remove the gown first then gloves. You can at least see and speak to your mom with no risk of contamination. It cannot be transmitted in the air.
So sorry for your situation.

JayJay
Brand New Poster

Postby JayJay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 pm

By now you have probably chosen to go or not. I agree with the others - you will never regret visiting your Mama, but if you did not go, you will always regret not going. In spite of anxieties and fears, your actions are still your choice. I hope your mother is resting comfortably and no matter how old you are when a parent dies, you always feel like an orphan. B^(

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:44 am

Jay Jay is right. My mom died 2 months ago and it is hard. I missed being with her when she took her last breath by about 15 minutes, but I had said my goodbyes before I left. I think it is important for both of you. Just wear a gown and gloves.

Silviaxo
Regular User

Postby Silviaxo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:55 pm

Unfortunately my mother passed away march 17th I never got to see her and I'm very hurt by it.. I freaked out at her funeral I miss her very much..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:16 pm

I'm sorry gor your loss. Don't second guess yourself. Just remember the good memories.

lotus
Brand New Poster

Postby lotus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 am

I'm sorry for your loss Silviaxo :( losing a parent is extremely difficult. Sending you warm thoughts <3

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”