asymptomatic partner?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lotus
Brand New Poster

asymptomatic partner?

Postby lotus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi there. I am finishing off my first round of oral vanco to treat c diff. I am worried though, I live with my partner, if they had become an asymptomatic carrier for c diff during this time. I had mild symptoms for a while before it ended up getting worse and I found out it was c diff. I may have exposed him.

Now that I am finishing up vanco, is he a possible source of spores for reinfection? I wonder if I should get him tested even if he isn't exhibiting symptoms. And if he does end up being an asymptomatic carrier, should he start taking antibiotics too?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: asymptomatic partner?

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi lotus, welcome to the site. Please read our guidelines for all new posters when you have a chance. You'll find these on the Intro page in the first thread.

You need not worry about becoming reinfected from spores. C. diff spores are present in the environment at all times and are generally harmless, other than in the rare instances where a person may be susceptible, e.g., after having taken an antibiotic for some other medical issue. Someone without symptoms absolutely should not be tested. Treatment is never based -- at least, not when given correctly -- on a test result but rather solely on symptoms. Taking antibiotics preventively in the absence of symptoms would be a major mistake.

As for the possibility that you might expose your partner, there is a lot of misinformation, including that sometimes given by medical practitioners themselves, about contagion from C. diff. The sole route of transmission is fecal-to-oral. Unless someone were to be having uncontrolled "accidents" in the home and others were coming into contact with soiled areas, the risk of transmission is around zero. It's in settings such as nursing homes, where such accidents are common and caregivers are in contact with many patients, that the potential for transmission is a real concern.

The key measure to avoiding reinfection with C. diff or to contracting it in the first place is to get in the habit of thorough handwashing with soap and water before eating or food preparation; after using the bathroom; and returning home from errands or other outside activities, especially if such activities have involved shaking hands or handling surfaces that have been touched by many others such as doorknobs, public-transportation grab rings, etc.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”