Can Oral Vancomycin Cause Itching?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Firewife
New User

Can Oral Vancomycin Cause Itching?

Postby Firewife » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 am

I’m currently on a 6 week taper (after already doing 10 days of vanco and another 5 in the hospital). I’m down to one pill a day. My skin is crawling and itches like crazy. I notice it gets worse about two hours after I take my dose and then gradually improves. My skin is sensitive as well and the backs of my arms get very red. Has anyone experienced this? I feel like it may be getting worse and I am confused as I thought the meds went straight to the GI tract.

roy
Administrator

Re: Can Oral Vancomycin Cause Itching?

Postby roy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:10 am

There are some reports of red man syndrome with oral vanco (not officially recognised) but I doubt if that clears up between doses.
Check with your Dr.
Keeping in mind that your toxin test was negative and your symptoms had 100% resolved before you started vanco your Dr might consider the treatment is worse than the "disease".
As for being on a taper regime following a negative test and total resolution of symptoms my only question is, WHY on earth has your Dr put you on such an important antibiotic when theres no indication that its apropriate?
If your Dr intends treating untill the antigen test is negative you might be in for a very very long wait!
You might test positive for life!
That's normal!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:28 am

Vanco like all medications can cause side effects. Make sure to call your MD and let him know.

NanciT

Firewife
New User

Postby Firewife » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Thank you both for your replies. When I first posted, I had only received one lab test back that only was positive for the antigen. Per my request due to symptoms, they retested via another method and it was positive for the toxins. I did my course of antibiotics for 10 days, then 5 days later it was back with a vengeance and I was hospitalized due to a severely inflamed colon and loss of fluids. I was hospitalized for 5 days and then started the vanco taper (and was on high doses in hospital as well). I just finished the taper and am still itching but it seems to be less severe, so I’m hoping maybe my body is starting to regulate! I did start having terrible heartburn three days post taper so that is my latest bit of fun! One day it was so bad I thought I was going to need an ambulance. So now I’m on Zantac for a couple weeks. What fun this infection is! Though I can handle heartburn and meds over the c diff anyway so just praying it is gone this time!! Nancy—I have ready you were left with post infection GeRD. Did it start right after treatment as well? Any tips for how you manage it?

Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 pm

There have been a couple of posters over the years who got rashes from oral vanco. They were not able to take it, so yes, it is possible.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:09 pm

As far as the GERD, still dealing with it. Part of the issue in my case is I also had vomiting with CDIFF, it's unusual but I did. During that year of CDIFF, I developed a hernia from the vomiting which was terrible.
At first I was on aciphex, then got off that and now take Pepcid . I have tried alot of natural remedy's like a spoonful of Manuka honey, apple cidar vinegar( which my GI said NO!) because if I develop gastritis that can make things worse. Chewing gum etc etc.
I may need to go back on aciphex for a few weeks to calm things down, trying not to do that. It's difficult, I eat a VERY bland diet, take mylanta at night also.
I think the manuka helps but forget to take it. Wish there was something that would work, it can be debilitating. I also want to mention I did have an endoscopy last year to make sure nothing else was going on

Take Care

NanciT

Firewife
New User

Postby Firewife » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 am

I had some vomiting with my cdiff case as well so perhaps that is a commonality between our two cases of GeRd. Boy I get it bad. Tonight I barely had eaten all day out of fear and I think some avocado got me. The fat in it perhaps!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”